Discover New Music with Last FM and Pandora: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fm
In summary, the conversation discussed different music platforms and preferences, including Last FM, Pandora, and personal music collections. Some participants have a large number of albums, but it is questioned whether they actually listen to all of them or just collect them. The suggestion of using Pandora for discovering new music was also mentioned.
ranger
Gold Member
Hey all,

Anyone here a member of Last FM? Its a cool music social site where you can listen to their music stations (all genres) or pop your own CDs in your computer and listen and they tally your tracks. Some people have like 60,000 tracks :bugeye: and I thought I was crazy about music. If anyone joins up, hit me up, my user name is slackjack.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have 1,600 albums, and most people think I'm crazy. As sad as I am to say it, I'm pretty much done with music. Try as I might, I literally cannot find anything that I like, yet don't already have. New music comes out all the time, of course, but I'd have to scour a record store to the rafters to find anything old that I both like and don't yet have.

As a result, I suspect that anyone who has the equivalent of 6,000 albums simply does not listen to 95% of it, and probably doesn't even enjoy 90% of it. They probably just have them out of an obsessive-compulsive desire to collect the largest possible music collection. I should also mention that they're probably all pirated, since, after all, no one's going to shell out $100,000 for albums they don't even like.

- Warren

I highly recommend Pandora- The Music Genome Project. Great way to listen to cool new music for free. You tell it what kind of music you like and it tries to find other similar music.

As for my music collection, I gave up on CD's a long time ago in favor of music download sites... instead on my computer I have about 4Gb of music (probably around 800-900 songs) and listen to most all of it. I could probably download another 4-6Gb easily :tongue2:

Mech_Engineer said:
I highly recommend Pandora- The Music Genome Project. Great way to listen to cool new music for free. You tell it what kind of music you like and it tries to find other similar music.

Word! I listen with Pandora almost everyday! It's great for parties!

1. What is Last FM?

Last FM is an online music streaming service that allows users to discover new music, create personalized radio stations, and connect with other music enthusiasts.

2. How does Last FM work?

Last FM uses algorithms to analyze the music you listen to and recommend similar songs and artists. It also allows you to scrobble, or track, the songs you listen to across different devices.

3. Is Last FM free to use?

Yes, Last FM offers a free version with limited features. However, there is also a subscription option called Last FM Pro that offers ad-free listening and additional features.

4. Can I connect with other users on Last FM?

Yes, Last FM has a social aspect where you can connect with other users, see what they are listening to, and share music recommendations.

5. Is Last FM available in all countries?

Last FM is currently available in over 200 countries and regions. However, some features may be limited in certain areas.