Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone hunt?

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    How does one begin to get into hunting if you don't have any friends that own any guns or go hunting? Specifically, I was thinking about getting into hunting with a bow and arrow. I know it is probably harder, but I simply don't have the funds available right now or think that my living situation right now would be suitable for buying and keeping around a gun. The thought of tracking down and hunting your prey has really started to appeal to me. What is more humane also than eating an animal that hasn't lived its entire life in a cage, been forced fed antibiotics and hormones, and has been allowed to roam free its entire life and live off of natural foliage it is supposed to eat? I wouldn't doubt at all either that eating wild game is healthier.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2
    It would be more humane to push for kinder farming practices than to go out and cut some wild animal's life short.

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3
    What makes you think bows are cheaper than guns? I have a 50 lb recurve bow that I paid about $230 for, and that's one of the cheapest you'll find for a recurve. Compound bows can be more or less expensive. And then there's arrows and other necessary accessories which can easily add another $100 to the cost.

Hunting with a bow is not something you can just jump into. It takes months or years of practice to get skilled enough with a bow to responsibly hunt with one. You need to be confident you can take down an animal in one shot from 30-40 yards and not just maim it.

And bows are NOT humane in any sense of the word. Hunting arrows use broadhead tips, which are essentially large razor blades on a metal shaft, designed to inflict large gaping wounds so that the animal bleeds out and leaves a blood trail you can follow. They don't go down right away, and they do suffer from an arrow.

I don't use my bow for hunting purely for sport, though it is a hunting bow. Hunting is cruel and shameful in my opinion.

5. Jul 15, 2012 #4
    I hunted as a teenager but don't have the oppertunity to do so now but would love to do it again. I was never comfortable enough to hunt with by bow and arrow, but I was plenty good with a rifle. There are public lands available in some states if you do not own land. Being with nature and contributing to what my family had to eat was one of the best experiences I have had. Also make sure you are very familiar with how to dress an animal, I don't think I would have done it right the first time without someone showing me. Happy hunting!

6. Jul 15, 2012 #5

You don't need all of the permits and have to deal with registration hassles like you do simply to own a gun. I'm not going to buy a gun right now while I'm living in an apartment. Of course I don't think you can simply just buy a bow in a sporting goods store and go out and hunt the next day. I'm wondering how does one become trained to learn how to bow hunt.

Hunting is not cruel, humans have only been doing it for the past 3000 years.

7. Jul 15, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Humans also had slaves for over 3000 years. Doesn't make it right.

8. Jul 15, 2012 #7
    That's the other big thing, how to dress it. Do most states have hunting classes that will teach you how to properly dress an animal in order to cut down on waste?

9. Jul 15, 2012 #8
    Except people need to eat.

10. Jul 15, 2012 #9
    Since when is the length of occurrence an excluding criteria for cruelty?
    I haven't eaten the meat of an animal for several months now and I'm still alive.

11. Jul 15, 2012 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is getting torn apart by wolves, or starving to death due to old age, better options to a quick kill at the hand of man?

12. Jul 15, 2012 #11
    As far as I'm concerned, vegans/vegetarians can start their own thread. Can we please stick to the topic of hunting and advice on learning how to hunt? I will continue to eat meat.

13. Jul 15, 2012 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We only have control over our own actions. As far as I'm concerned, I would starve or die due to old age than to die right now.

Furthermore, you do realize that hunters also tend to use dogs that rip their prey apart, right?? So it isn't exactly a "quick kill".

14. Jul 15, 2012 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a popular technique.

http://www.thepet-boutique.com/images/DogClothes/SmallDog/CherriesHarnessDogDress_small1.jpg [Broken]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  15. Jul 16, 2012 #14
    I'm not a vegetarian. I'm responding to your ridiculous rationalization that it's somehow more humane if you go out and kill one yourself rather than buy meat at the store. Hunting does nothing for the farm animals and a wild animal gets killed on top of it.

16. Jul 16, 2012 #15
    I was around hunting for the first 20 years of my live, I have never seen that or even heard of it happening, not once.

17. Jul 16, 2012 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

18. Jul 16, 2012 #17
    You need a hunting license regardless of what weapon you're using. And depending on what state you're in, the regulations on hunting rifles can be very lax.

Humans have been hunting for much longer than 3000 years, the homosapien is at least 100,000 years old. People have also been killing each other in war for much of that time as well, does that justify the continuation of war?

Do wild animals really need to die just to cure your boredom?

19. Jul 16, 2012 #18
    It's not very honest to reduce hunting to just "curing boredom"

To me it is a wide range of experiences some of which I've already mentioned, that I wouldn't trade for much anything.

As for the wiki article on fox hunting I've never been fox hunting or know anyone who does, just deer, a couple kinds of bird and squirrels.

20. Jul 16, 2012 #19
    Oh god, I nearly jamp out of my seat, that thing is ferocious!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  21. Jul 16, 2012 #20
    I grew up on a farm, where we had guns. We never hunted for sport, we just used them for clearing out nuisance animals. Typically things like gophers, moles, magpies, and the occasional wolf or fox when they're wreaking havoc around the farm. But from these experiences I pose a question:

Would you rather we take a monetary loss, of often significant proportion, due to these animals, or would you rather we kill them for the sake of our livelihood?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook