Anyone into Black Friday?

• Thread starter 27Thousand
  • Start date
Dang right ya better believe it's exciting! Think about it this way, are cell phones creative? How do you think they went about making new technology? Remembering back to those Science Fair days, you'd say, "If this idea is correct, we predict this will happen." If it can predict what will happen from many different angles, regardless of whether it's absolute truth it's down to earth practical, can be applied to the real world, good for technology, you get my drift.

In Science they say the better something is at predicting, the better it is for technology. Now the reason why I care about mathematical models for flirting here, using mathematics takes a principle and maximizes its ability to predict. You know what I'm saying? If I can come up with equations that predict "If you have these values for these 5 variables, then there is a 85% probability of being between this and this range for if the woman is flirting", then it's going to be applicable. Then I can do what engineers did in coming up with cell phones, take principles mapped out with the Scientific Method and combine them together in unique/useful ways. It may be useful for trying finding the right women, just like you want to pick the right clothes when you need new ones. They especially used math when coming up with cell phones.
How is this anything like a cell-phone? Just because it uses math and 'predicts' something has no implications to how usefull it is... people use math all damn day to make equipment to 'predict' ghosts etc... I think that's much closer to what your trying to do here.

First things first how are you going to get your 'data sets'? You are too scared to go up and talk to a girl who is possibly flirting with you... are you going to go up to her now and be like 'are you flirting with me I need some more datasets for my mathmatical model.' I can tell you right now you are either going to get a crap load of girls calling you a creep, or you are going to get a crap load of girls telling you that they are just for garbages-and-giggles, (If I were the girl I'd go for the latter, I think that would be hilarious)

At those same science fairs you speak of, just remember along with those amazing creative designs/ideas there are 100s of others that are not of the same caliber. You think you are the gem of the science fair with this?

Me and my friends went to Best Buy on black friday (at midnight) telling people we were "line enthusiasts" and that we just needed some batteries for our cameras. The best buy employees got a kick out of that last part. :)

How is this anything like a cell-phone? Just because it uses math and 'predicts' something has no implications to how usefull it is... people use math all damn day to make equipment to 'predict' ghosts etc... I think that's much closer to what your trying to do here.

First things first how are you going to get your 'data sets'? You are too scared to go up and talk to a girl who is possibly flirting with you... are you going to go up to her now and be like 'are you flirting with me I need some more datasets for my mathmatical model.' I can tell you right now you are either going to get a crap load of girls calling you a creep, or you are going to get a crap load of girls telling you that they are just for garbages-and-giggles, (If I were the girl I'd go for the latter, I think that would be hilarious)

At those same science fairs you speak of, just remember along with those amazing creative designs/ideas there are 100s of others that are not of the same caliber. You think you are the gem of the science fair with this?
Consider, as far as the ghost example, we can't see ghosts nor is it falsifiable so that's not Science. Something that you may possibly want to consider, in Biology they can observe cells, mitochondria, etc. Researchers putting up cameras in public areas and recording the frequency of body language and being approached by men is exactly observable; reactions of women and body language are observable and can be counted/kept as numbers. It can be replicated. In Physics, much of it they can't observe directly but it makes predictions with mathematics for what can be observed, and is also very falsifiable through what can be observed (Newton's Theory of Gravitation being a force vs. Einstein's bending of spacetime, quantum mechanics versus Einstein saying that's not reality but rather a model). If one can create mathematical models where if you have 5 variables you can predict 80% of the time "observable reactions from women" will be between this and this range, how is that not in a format which is applicable to the real world and falsifiable?

Something worthwhile to be considered, part of the Scientific Method is being humble, and that means falsification and testability. Historians say Isaac Newton using mathematical models did just that for finding truth and making predictions. For where I'd get data sets, there are already tons of peer-review studies which have basically the same patterns showing up within them. Maybe I could ask the authors really nicely and tell that it's part of the peer-review process. I emailed one of the researchers and she said she hadn't heard of any researchers coming up with a generalized mathematical model for flirting, so I guess that would mean I'm not copying someone's work if I were to come up with a "model across studies".

Last edited:
Anyway... back to the topic of Black Friday, although many or most of the things are not necessarily good deals, there are some things which are pretty good for what you pay. I thought $200 for a laptop with those type of specs, and then heading over to Best Buy afterward to buy Civilization IV for $5 (which usually costs $20 and I was interested in buying anyway) was a good deal.

Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
I emailed one of the researchers and she said she hadn't heard of any researchers coming up with a generalized mathematical model for flirting...
Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let's keep this thread on topic, please.

Wow, I found out about last year https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=275532"

That's very unfortunate :frown:

Luckily it was much better this year. Being there at 10:30PM the night before made it less hectic, although trying to get out of the parking lot after I bought the computer was crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: