Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone know a bit on MikTex?

1. Dec 3, 2004 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm having the biggest dilemma of my entire existance.I've just downloaded the "MiKTex" software,apparently succesfully installing it,but,as it wouldn't make a shortcut in the StartUp Menu (using Win98),I have no idea how to find the program itself,the ".exe" file.

So,please,could anyone give me a piece of advice??
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2004 #2
    The MikTeX executables are located in the miktex\bin directory of wherever you installed everything (I have mine in c:\texmf\miktex\bin).

If you were expecting a fancy schmancy GUI for doing your TeX'ing, then you might be a little bit disappointed. All the programs run through a command window, but you can use whatever fancy schmancy text editor you like to create your TeX source file.
  4. Dec 3, 2004 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MikTeX is a fine version of LateX, but you do need a GUI. I suggest that you look on www.tug.org for some freebees. There are a couple out there. if you decide to use Linux for an operating system, try Kile for LateX, best I have seen and is easy to use.

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thenx.I'd still have one more question:if i've made a file;let's call it "buhuhu.tex",how can i turn it into a pdf using MikTex?It' actually the reason for which i dld-ed the program.Being able to make pdf's out of tex files...Which commnad window to open and what lines of code need i write??

Dr.Transport,for now,i'm not interested in sofware working for Linux,as i find Windows pretty useful for dumbasses like me... :wink:
  6. Dec 5, 2004 #5
    I've never done it myself, but I think pdftex might do the trick for you. I'd recommend going through the MikTeX manual
  7. Dec 5, 2004 #6
    i would suggest using something like TeXnicCenter
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?