Anyone know any good acne treatment

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Treatment
In summary: Benzoyl peroxide is a chemical for application in low solutions on the skin. It destroys the P. acnes bacteria ( which is the predominant micro-organism in sebaceous follicles and comedones) by penetrating the follicle and releasing hydrogen peroxide (free-radical oxygen species, which are capable of oxidizing bacterial proteins.) Acne bacteria cannot survive in the presence of hydrogen peroxide. It is an excellent treatment, but most people don't use benzoyl peroxide products correctly. They apply the medicine to existing pimples rather than using it wherever they are likely to get acne, which can prevent it from popping up in the first place.
PrudensOptimus
Hi,

Recently I discovered 2 acnes on my face and neck. My mom told me is acne. Anyone know any good acne treatment!?

-Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
You're 15 and just now getting two pimples? You are lucky. Benzoyl peroxide is popular, but I think salicylic acid for small breakouts is less drying.

I don't have acne so prevention is the best medication. I usually wash my face with Neutrogena cleanser, then I apply a moisturizer with Alpha-hydroxyl which helps repair sun damage. After cleansing, you may want to try using a toner that's alcohol-free that you gently apply with a cotton ball on your face and throat, then the moisturizer.

I would also watch the food I eat, sweets are usually bad for the skin. Salmon is very good, as well as it protects your heart.

Last edited:
Stress can cause breakouts. I have a big presentation worth $$$megabucks$$$ tomorrow and of course I have a zit on my chin now the size of a BUS!

For me, washing my face with Neutrogena soap and treating local breakouts with 10% (or 5% if sensitive) benzoyl peroxide. The pimples then scale off after a day or two of treatment. Even today at the age of 44, I had a pimple that I treated with b. p.

In years past, my overall acne could be dried up with applications of retinoic acid (vitamin A), which might appear as a "sunburn." Some doctors also prescribe tetracycline antibiotic.

aww zits and spots. I don't treat my face with anything other than shower gel and i am ok. A lot of people here use Clearasil to prevent spots.

Is Hydrogen Peroxide = Benzoyl Peroxide??

No, Prudens, they are two very different chemicals.

Personally, I've found that just taking a multi-vitamin with a decent amount of vitamin A (NOT its precursor, beta-carotene) does wonders for my skin.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
No, Prudens, they are two very different chemicals.

Personally, I've found that just taking a multi-vitamin with a decent amount of vitamin A (NOT its precursor, beta-carotene) does wonders for my skin.

- Warren

So do Hydrogen Peroxide also do good on acnes?

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
So do Hydrogen Peroxide also do good on acnes?
I would strongly advise that you not apply hydrogen peroxide to your skin. It is far too potent for any kind of regular topical use, and probably wouldn't help acne anyway. It's a bleaching agent, and will damage your skin.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
I would strongly advise that you not apply hydrogen peroxide to your skin. It is far too potent for any kind of regular topical use, and probably wouldn't help acne anyway. It's a bleaching agent, and will damage your skin.

- Warren

ahh **** :\ Where do I get Benoyl Peroxide then:\

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
ahh **** :\ Where do I get Benoyl Peroxide then:\

wait, benzoyl peroxide is a bleaching agent as well :\ ****.

Most non prescription acne medications contain it. Have you seen Stridex or Clearasil at your pharmacy?

Originally posted by Evo
Most non prescription acne medications contain it. Have you seen Stridex or Clearasil at your pharmacy?

Contain hydrogen or benoyl?

Benzoyl.

It comes in 2 strengths 5% & 10%.

Originally posted by Evo
Benzoyl.

It comes in 2 strengths 5% & 10%.

I couldn't find anywhere selling Benzoyl only Hydrogen. Is there much of difference?

Yes and listen to chroot's advice!

You probably won't find bezoyl peroxide for sale under that name, it will be an ingredient in a topical acne medication. It is extremely drying. I cannot use it, my skin is so sensitive that within 2 days it caused blistering and swelling. I looked like I had been burned.

Benzoyl Peroxide: a chemical for application in low solutions on the skin. It destroys the P. acnes bacteria ( which is the predominant micro-organism in sebaceous follicles and comedones) by penetrating the follicle and releasing hydrogen peroxide (free-radical oxygen species, which are capable of oxidizing bacterial proteins.) Acne bacteria cannot survive in the presence of hydrogen peroxide.

It is an excellent treatment, the problem is that most people don't use benzoyl peroxide products correctly.. They apply the medicine to existing pimples rather than using it wherever they are likely to get acne, which can prevent it from popping up in the first place.

Benzoyl peroxide also has drying actions, sebostatic effects, and causes mild skin desquamation. Benzoyl peroxide improves both inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne lesions. It can be effective as monotherapy in mild cases of acne and is used as an adjuvant in moderate to severe cases of acne. Benzoyl peroxide is available as prescription and non-prescription products and also in combination with Erythromycin (Benzamycin) and Clindamycin (Benzaclin) -both are topical antibiotics-, hydrocortisone, and sulfur.

Resolution of acne usually occurs within 4—6 weeks of initiation of treatment. It coincides with a reduction in levels of P. acnes, lipids, and free fatty acids in the skin follicle.

In the skin, benzoyl peroxide is metabolized to benzoic acid. Approximately 5% of the benzoic acid is systemically absorbed and excreted in the urine. It can produce hyperpigmentation or dark spots.

Most pharmacies carry it for the purpose of treating acne breakouts.

I’m using benzaclin since one month and I have noticed that the pimples have started to fade……a friend of mine suggested me to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes acne?

Acne is caused by a combination of factors, including excess oil production, clogged pores, bacteria, and inflammation. Hormonal changes, such as those during puberty, can also contribute to acne.

2. What are some common acne treatments?

Some common acne treatments include topical creams or gels containing ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or retinoids. Oral medications, such as antibiotics or hormonal birth control, may also be prescribed for more severe cases. It's important to consult with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment plan for your specific type of acne.

3. Are there any natural remedies for acne?

While there are some natural remedies that may help improve acne symptoms, such as tea tree oil or honey, it's important to note that these are not scientifically proven to be effective. It's always best to consult with a dermatologist for professional advice and treatment.

4. Can diet affect acne?

There is some evidence that certain foods, such as dairy and high-glycemic index foods, may contribute to acne. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between diet and acne. Maintaining a balanced and healthy diet is generally recommended for overall skin health.

5. How long does it take for acne to clear up?

The timeline for acne to clear up varies for each individual and depends on the severity of the acne. With proper treatment, it can take several weeks to see improvement, and it may take several months for acne to completely clear up. Consistency and patience are key when it comes to treating acne.