Learning Sage & Python for Beginner Programmers

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in learning Sage software as an alternative to MATLAB, and their desire to also learn Python. They have limited programming experience but are familiar with basic concepts such as loops, stacks, methods, and class variables. They ask for resources for learning Python, specifically focusing on Sage. The conversation suggests the Sage website and udacity.com as good resources, as well as recommending "Dive into Python" by Pilgrim due to the individual's previous programming experience.
Hercuflea
Hey everyone I am looking to learn the Sage software as an alternative to MATLAB. I would like to leaern Python as well. I have a bit of a limited programming experience (A in a Programming Principles course last semester which used Java). So I know loops, stacks, methods, class variables, data fields, strings, static vs non static, and some other basics but that is about it. Anybody know of a good resource for learning Python (focused on Sage), or is it too advanced for someone who has only had a semester of CS?

Technology news on Phys.org

The Sage website has some great resources: videos, tons of sample code, documentation..check this to start: http://www.sagemath.org/tour.html

In addition, "udacity.com" has some great videos on Python.

There are tons of Python resources out there. Since you have some experience programming, "Dive into Python" by Pilgrim might be a decent choice. It is freely available on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Sage and Python?

Sage and Python are programming languages that are used for scientific computing and data analysis. Sage is an open-source mathematics software that incorporates elements of various programming languages, including Python. Python is a general-purpose programming language that is known for its simplicity, readability, and versatility.

2. Who is this course designed for?

This course is designed for beginner programmers who are interested in learning how to use Sage and Python for scientific computing and data analysis. No prior programming experience is required, but a basic understanding of mathematics is recommended.

3. What will I learn from this course?

By taking this course, you will learn the fundamentals of Sage and Python programming, including data types, control structures, functions, and object-oriented programming. You will also learn how to use these skills to solve problems in various areas of science and mathematics.

4. Do I need any special software or equipment?

Yes, you will need a computer with internet access and a web browser to access the course materials. You will also need to download and install the Sage and Python software, which are both free to use. Instructions for downloading and installing the software will be provided in the course.

5. How long will it take to complete this course?

The length of the course may vary depending on your learning pace, but it is designed to be completed in approximately 4-6 weeks. The course is self-paced, so you can take as much time as you need to fully understand the material.