What is this strange device found on the beach?

• Thread starter Gaius Baltar
  • Start date
In summary, a person found a metal frame on the beach and asked for ideas on what it could be. Some suggestions were a monitoring device or a lost object from a ship, possibly a sonar array. A joke was made about a radioactive jellyfish on acid. The person thanked the others for their responses and appreciated the humor.
Gaius Baltar
Hi there, someone I know (you could say a friend) has asked me what I think this is he found in the sand on a beach...

Anyone have any ideas? I believe it could be some form of Monitoring device for the sea / wind etc? Not sure... Anyhows, anyone out there seen one before?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v355/Emessis/Nov%203%202010/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're referring to the main photo, the only thing that I can think of is that it's a radioactive jellyfish on acid.

Oh... okay. Your image doesn't work, but I just went back to the original link. It doesn't look like an autonomous device, so I'm thinking that it might have been lost from a ship. Maybe a sonar array? If it emits and/or detects something, it would appear to be directional based purely upon the shape. Other than that, I wouldn't care to speculate.

edit: Your new link works fine. There might not have been anything wrong with the image that you had up in its place, but I couldn't see it. There are a lot of images that someone with a Windows-burner sees where I just get a little box with a question mark in it.

That answer will do for me! Thanks Danger...

Took me a while to understand "radioactive jellyfish on acid." - Then I see it, good sense of humour my friend :)

Gaius Baltar said:
Took me a while to understand "radioactive jellyfish on acid." - Then I see it, good sense of humour my friend :)

Thank you. I like to put varying lengths of time-delay fuses on my jokes so I can be well clear of the area before they go off.

1. What is the purpose of "Anyone know what this is?"

The purpose of "Anyone know what this is?" is to ask for help in identifying an unknown object or item.

2. How do I use "Anyone know what this is?" effectively?

To use "Anyone know what this is?" effectively, provide as much information as possible about the object such as its appearance, size, and any distinguishing features. You can also include a clear photo or description of its intended use or where it was found.

3. Can "Anyone know what this is?" be used for all types of objects?

Yes, "Anyone know what this is?" can be used for all types of objects. It can be used for anything from household items to scientific specimens.

4. How long does it usually take to get a response from "Anyone know what this is?"

The response time for "Anyone know what this is?" can vary depending on the platform or community it is posted in. It is best to be patient and allow for at least a day or two for responses.

5. Are there any alternatives to using "Anyone know what this is?"

Yes, there are alternative ways to identify unknown objects such as consulting with experts, using identification apps or websites, or conducting your own research. However, "Anyone know what this is?" can be a helpful and convenient option for quick identification.