Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone know where I can get nice hardcover/graph paper filled/composition book?

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    Sorry for the ridiculously long title! But, for some of my and my girlfriend's classes this semester, we need to get very specific notebooks.

You know those composition notebooks? (they actually say "COMPOSITION" right on the covers) They have a black and white "marble" looking cover. Here I'll just link one.. http://www.tlcdoll.com/tlcimag/acc/a5053.jpg

Well I need them to be hardcover with the square, hard binding and they need to have graph paper in them.

I am sure some of you have them for your courses and have a place you always get them.

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well - in the US, one probably could find such a composition book at Office Depot, Staples or other office supply place.

Does one want it in inches or cm? And at what grid resolution?

I used lined notebooks/composition books for notes, and engineering paper for calculational notes. We also use a template for MS Work which has headers and footers and a grid for engineering notes.

Avery (Avery-Dennison) and National have computational notebooks, and so do Mead and ACCO. These can be ordered on-line and perhaps found at local office supply stores.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    Most likely in cm. Those stores do not carry the nice ones. It needs to fit the description I gave EXACTLY. These profs are picky. . . and rightly so.

Hardcover
    Hardbound
    gridded paper ( idk anything about resolution)
    Marble cover (may be flexible on that one)

Any body seen one of these?

5. Jan 21, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Hi, Casey. If the profs are that picky, haven't they arranged to have your college bookstore stock these composition books? At my old U, we could get almost any required book, specialty tool (like stereo viewers for photogrametry), notebooks, slide rules (OK, I'm old) at the bookstore.

6. Jan 21, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

7. Jan 21, 2008 #6
    I can't tell from the picture though if they are hard cover. I mean there are the typical 'hard covers' and then there are ones that are hard covered like a Math textbook. Almost like wood. Thanks turbo! I'll see if I can't get some more info on that one.

8. Jan 21, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only place I used to find those were in the university bookstore. Our chemistry courses always required those. I used to like them as a lab notebook too (not as big and unweildy as the larger notebooks sold for such purposes, but still bound so not going to lose pages). I think I've seen them in one of the bigger office supply stores, but don't recall which one. You can probably find them sold online if the local store doesn't have them.

Here you go!
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/320155/Office-Brand-Quad-Pad-Composition-Book/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  9. Jan 21, 2008 #8
    Thanks Moonbear!

That looks like it, but again I just can't tell if the cover is "textbook hard" and not just regular cardboard hard. Maybe I'll just order a few and see what comes!

10. Jan 21, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Why not go to the nearest Office Depot or Staples and look at what they have in stock?

11. Jan 21, 2008 #10
    I already went to Staples in my neighborhood, I'll try Office Depot. Thanks for the ideas guys!

12. Jan 21, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that's the best you're going to get. I haven't seen them with the black and white, hard cover in years (probably a decade)...I don't think they make them that way anymore. The green cardboard cover is the best you're going to get. If the professor is going to be THAT picky, s/he should have put in a request for the bookstore to stock them from whatever supplier s/he thinks they come from so you can readily get the exact ones s/he wants.

13. Jan 21, 2008 #12

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Borders always has notebooks on sale, journals, etc.....maybe they have something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?