Anyone need an unemployed medicinal chemist?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemist
In summary: BS in math and chemistry and interested in economics/finance, you could probably find a job related to finance. Many different disciplines want math graduates who know other things. You could also work as an actuary :). Your thread about actuaries is what introduced me to the profession and I might become one in the future (I'll try to take the first two exams over the summer). Depending on your interests, you could also get something like an MS in financial engineering/computational finance or anything in that field and easily work with it. You could get an MBA (they have one year programs out there, but you would want it to be from a good school) and work on getting a management position in a pharmaceutical company. If
gravenewworld
I can cook and clean, am good with the kids, and love pets. If you are looking for an unemployed medicinal chemist feel free to PM me. All that I ask is that you feed and clothe me.

How pathetic has the science industry in America these days? 24 y.o. and I am already going to be unemployed?? Today my company found out that the only drug that we have in our pipeline that is trying to get through the FDA is causing CV side effects. Roughly 2.6% of over 800+ patients showed side effects for CV events so FDA approval is very unlikely. The FDA rejected a drug from Bristol Myers and Squibb over 19 CV events that were found in 1000+ patients, so we definitely won't get approval. The company is definitely going to fold since we haven't made a profit in 10 years.

And it isn't just the fact that I worked for a small company either. Pfizer layed off 10,000 people recently after losing $800 million on Torcetrapib, DuPont has hacked and slashed its R&D constantly, Merck is laying off 7000 , Bayer another 1000, and J&J has axed a large chunk of its research groups as well.

So yeah, I am done with industry. I'm not going to chase around R&D jobs like everyone else and constantly have to move and worry about paying bills. My main goal right now is to go back to school. Hopefully medical school. If I can't get in my other options I have considered are going to pharmacy school or going back for a MA or possibly PhD in Economics (at least I still get to do some math) and work on Wallstreet as an analyst or something. Wow only 24 and burned out from the science industry already. Maybe I will try to learn some Chinese or Hindu as it seems all of our jobs are going there anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
Man, that's crap.

Know what you mean. 11 years at a CRO before it went bankrupt. Good luck.

Anyone need an unemployed medicinal chemist?
Sorry to hear about that.

I worked for a medium-sized employee-owned company that took a nose-dive when the government shutdown (Clinton years) and suspended all contracts. Ultimately, my division got sold to another company (in which the president of company mislead the board as to the finances :rolleyes: ). By then, I had left for a more secure situation. I lost more than $40,000 in retirement savings and some equity in the failed company. Company officers made out very well.

"Company officers made out very well."

They always do. Our CEO made more by going bankrupt than selling it.

Do you work for Adolor? If you really think the company is going to fold, you could leave and short a ton of stocks (buy some options as insurance in case the company DOESN't fold :wink:). I believe you would have to be out of the company before you do this though, otherwise it might be conflict of interest.

If you have a BS in math and chemistry and interested in economics/finance, you could probably find a job related to finance. Many different disciplines want math graduates who know other things. You could also work as an actuary :). Your thread about actuaries is what introduced me to the profession and I might become one in the future (I'll try to take the first two exams over the summer). Depending on your interests, you could also get something like an MS in financial engineering/computational finance or anything in that field and easily work with it. You could get an MBA (they have one year programs out there, but you would want it to be from a good school) and work on getting a management position in a pharmaceutical company. If you get a PhD in Economics or finance you could work as an analyst like you said or even try to be the CFO of a company! I'm sure your experience will help. Going to med school also isn't a bad idea, it all depends on what you want to do. There are so many options out there though and you're 24 (not old). Good luck! :biggrin:

Physics_wiz said:
Do you work for Adolor? If you really think the company is going to fold, you could leave and short a ton of stocks (buy some options as insurance in case the company DOESN't fold :wink:). I believe you would have to be out of the company before you do this though, otherwise it might be conflict of interest.

If you have a BS in math and chemistry and interested in economics/finance, you could probably find a job related to finance. Many different disciplines want math graduates who know other things. You could also work as an actuary :). Your thread about actuaries is what introduced me to the profession and I might become one in the future (I'll try to take the first two exams over the summer). Depending on your interests, you could also get something like an MS in financial engineering/computational finance or anything in that field and easily work with it. You could get an MBA (they have one year programs out there, but you would want it to be from a good school) and work on getting a management position in a pharmaceutical company. If you get a PhD in Economics or finance you could work as an analyst like you said or even try to be the CFO of a company! I'm sure your experience will help. Going to med school also isn't a bad idea, it all depends on what you want to do. There are so many options out there though and you're 24 (not old). Good luck! :biggrin:

Yeah that is my company. Last time it was announced, we have $180 million in cash. R&D costs roughly $50 million per year, so you can guess what budget is about to take a huge hit. Everyone, not just the scientists, are about to jump ship. The company itself might not fold for another 2 years, but R&D is basically done for. LOL they gave me 1500 shares in options, but that was for $23 a share, I don't ever see the stock reaching that price ever again, so my options are all worthless. We actually layed off 33% of our people in Dec. Several of the people in chemistry who were layed off in Dec. are still looking for jobs. Even the big boys like Merck, GSK, and Astra Zeneca aren't hiring. The only other drug we have in our pipeline is in phase I clinical trials so it is still 5-10 years away from even thinking about applying for FDA approval. Yeah, Adolor is pretty much toast. Since GSK jumped ship, we have 0 income. Sure I could try to find a chemistry job not even related to the pharmaceutical industry, but there really aren't that many around here that don't have to do with analytical chemistry (which i hate!), and I really don't want to move, so it looks like I need another career.

I was thinking about finance/financial mathematics too. I don't think I could be an actuary though. All of my mathematics training is in pure math. I really really really don't want to have to go back and pay a disgusting amount for credits for some undergrad statistics classes. Right now I have limited my options down to

1.) MD
2.) Pharm D
3.) Economist/Finance

Honestly, I always have really wanted to be a doctor, it isn't something that I just decided out of the blue. I was going to apply to medschool when I was about to graduate as an undergrad, but just got too burned out with school work (that is what I get for taking almost 200 credits in 4.5 years) and felt like I needed a break. I have been volunteering at the local hospital for a while now, and applying to med school has really started to interest me again.

I would say sell drugs, but you already did that. :tongue2:

cyrusabdollahi said:
I would say sell drugs, but you already did that. :tongue2:

LOl kind of hard to sell a drug that is apparently causing an increase in neoplasms (skin cancer), inceases in heart attacks and other serious cardiovascular events, and causing an increase in bone fractures with no apparent pharmacolgical explanation.

Ha I actually know where we keep a huge bag of this stuff in one of our labs. Ironic how the bag of pills represents about 15 years of work, $300+ million dollars, 1000s of work hours, and is only worth about 25 cents.

Yeah, the pharmaceutical industry has been a shakey place to make a career even since I was a student. Then again, I thought academia would provide a more secure career path at the time, and I'm not sure that's so true anymore either. When a seemingly promising drug goes belly-up in clinical trials, the companies take a hard hit, and only those who can count on existing sales to keep footing the bill can ride it out and keep up the R&D work.

Is the drug that you're referring to something that you can share the name of or what it was supposed to be doing? Or is that still proprietary information?

Edit: Nevermind, it's public news already.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/09/news/companies/bc.glaxo.adolor.reut/index.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
you all think its bad now.. wait till Americas medicine is socialized.

1. What is a medicinal chemist?

A medicinal chemist is a scientist who specializes in the design, synthesis, and characterization of chemical compounds for use in pharmaceuticals. They work to discover and develop new drugs that can treat diseases and improve human health.

2. What are the job responsibilities of an unemployed medicinal chemist?

The job responsibilities of an unemployed medicinal chemist vary depending on their specific area of expertise, but generally include conducting research, analyzing data, and collaborating with other scientists to develop new drugs and treatments. They may also be responsible for writing reports and presenting their findings to colleagues and stakeholders.

3. What skills and qualifications are needed to become a medicinal chemist?

To become a medicinal chemist, one typically needs a strong background in chemistry, with a focus on organic chemistry. A bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field is usually required, and many medicinal chemists also hold advanced degrees such as a master's or Ph.D. They should also have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team.

4. What is the job outlook for medicinal chemists?

The job outlook for medicinal chemists is positive, as the demand for new drugs and treatments continues to grow. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the field of medicinal chemistry is projected to grow 6% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

5. What are the potential career paths for a medicinal chemist?

Medicinal chemists can work in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and academia. They may also pursue careers in drug discovery and development, quality control, or regulatory affairs. With experience and advanced degrees, they may also have opportunities for leadership roles such as project managers or research directors.