1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone play drums?

1. Jun 22, 2004 #1
    I just purchased a simple set of drums that comes with the snare, bass, the two toms, and three cymbals. Coming from a classical background of musical training, I am having problems tuning the drum to sound right. Is there a site that provides some audio files so I can tune my drums to sound correctly? Or is the sound of recorded drums, when played on a standard speaker, different from what you would hear if you play the drums first-hand?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot different. Hate the way they sounded at first...but you get used to it eventually. Sometimes, I like to cover the snare with a towel to lower the pitch. How much did you drop on this set ?

And I believe there are lugs that set the tension of the head. Always tighten lugs in the order 1,4,2,5,3,6 - for 6 lugs (or 1,3,2,4 for 4 lugs): in general, go from a lug to the one opposite it. Start from the snare and work your way down to the bass. I know someone who does this in the other way, so I think that's fine too. I would just tune it against a keyboard.

There's some info here : http://www.musiciansnews.com/cgi-bin/go.pl?mid=87831007415276

Not aware of any audio files though...

PS : I'm no expert, but have dabbled just a bit. You should wait for someone knowledgeable to come along...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  4. Jun 29, 2004 #3
    The drum set, which is a Pearl export series (I had few choices), costed me around USD800. It's expensive because I live in Brunei.

I already understand how to tighten the lugs in an order that 'draws' out a pentagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?