Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone play drums?

1. Jun 22, 2004 #1
    I just purchased a simple set of drums that comes with the snare, bass, the two toms, and three cymbals. Coming from a classical background of musical training, I am having problems tuning the drum to sound right. Is there a site that provides some audio files so I can tune my drums to sound correctly? Or is the sound of recorded drums, when played on a standard speaker, different from what you would hear if you play the drums first-hand?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot different. Hate the way they sounded at first...but you get used to it eventually. Sometimes, I like to cover the snare with a towel to lower the pitch. How much did you drop on this set ?

And I believe there are lugs that set the tension of the head. Always tighten lugs in the order 1,4,2,5,3,6 - for 6 lugs (or 1,3,2,4 for 4 lugs): in general, go from a lug to the one opposite it. Start from the snare and work your way down to the bass. I know someone who does this in the other way, so I think that's fine too. I would just tune it against a keyboard.

There's some info here : http://www.musiciansnews.com/cgi-bin/go.pl?mid=87831007415276

Not aware of any audio files though...

PS : I'm no expert, but have dabbled just a bit. You should wait for someone knowledgeable to come along...
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  4. Jun 29, 2004 #3
    The drum set, which is a Pearl export series (I had few choices), costed me around USD800. It's expensive because I live in Brunei.

I already understand how to tighten the lugs in an order that 'draws' out a pentagram.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?