Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone play Poker?

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    Hey General Discussioners!

Anyone play Poker? I play for fun on the web and with mates, nothing big or anything but I really enjoy it! My question is, I know the rules of Texas Hold 'Em and I'm alright overall, but what strategy is there to learn? How do I get better? I'm sure its not JUST luck.

Mayday

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Poker!?.......!!

I love poker! And no, it's not just luck. I'm not sure what strategies there are though (at least not what the names of strategies are).. I would say to improve just to practice, and play against different people. Since the new gambling laws have come into play you'll find a lot more games advertised in pubs. Where my parents live there is this free pub poker league, which is quite good fun to go back and play every now and then.

4. Jun 27, 2008 #3

I should learn poker, I just like Blackjack better, way easier.

5. Jun 27, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A guy I work with uses an online Texas Hold 'em site (I don't know which one, but there are several). He played online until he was pretty good, then started playing in local tournaments where he's done surprisingly well. He loses more than he wins, but it's just a hobby that he enjoys.

6. Jun 27, 2008 #5

Like Johnny Cash said. "you gotta know hold em and know when to fold em". Now how do you know? since you say you play online you won't be able to attempt to read their body language so you basically have to go off how they are betting and your odds of winning the hand.

A lot of people make the mistake of chasing hands without even considering the odds of getting the card they need. lets say you have an inside straight draw on the flop. There is $50 in the pot total. your opponent bets $20. now if you want to play you have to bet $20 more for a chance to win $70. you are getting 3.5 to 1 odds on your bet. now you have to consider your chance to actually get the card you need. on the flop there are 47 cards you can't see. 4 of the card you need for the straight so 4/47 or about 1/12 chance you will get the card you need on the turn. another 1/12 that you will get it on the river. so you have about 1/6 chance of getting the card you need. would you bet 3.5 to 1 on your money with a 1/6 chance of winning? I wouldn't and it's usually considered a bad call. You also have to consider what is the chance a straight would even win that hand? if there is a flush draw or pair on the table you could get beat with a flush or full house.

The statistics are an important factor, but there are many important factors. learning how to bet is important. Knowing when to slow play your hand and raise or reraise can be the difference between winning $10 or winning $100(or even losing). In the end it's going to take a lot of practice. no guide can tell you what you should do to win the hand every time in any situation because each player will react differently and that's what makes Hold'Em such a fun game.

7. Jun 27, 2008 #6

All you need are deep pockets to play with the donkies.

Dont waste your time or money on poker. Most people play like crap and it makes you want to go across the table and punch them in the face for playing some off-hand garabge against your big slick.

8. Jun 27, 2008 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Bad players can't hit all the time though.. you just gotta adjust your playing style when you play against poor players, and then you can rake it in!

9. Jun 27, 2008 #8

The best way to learn is to play. I just do it for fun, no money most the time. It is quite nice though when you get about 8/10 people in a game with a buy-in of £10. It means the winner can go away with quite a bit of dosh.

10. Jun 27, 2008 #9

.....no. You get sucked out.

11. Jun 27, 2008 #10

You cant play poker without money. People play WAY different when money is on the table. They play less garbage, but still garbage.

12. Jun 27, 2008 #11

i heard the Little Green Book is really good for beginners

13. Jun 27, 2008 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Playing poker without money is like doing physics without mathematics.

14. Jun 27, 2008 #13

so in other words, poker involves a lot of money, but the amount it actually involves is overrated by most people?

15. Jun 27, 2008 #14

Put it this way, if you cant bare to part with a few hundred dollars in one night, dont play poker.

16. Jun 27, 2008 #15

Well.... It depends.... There was a fellow who told me this story:

He was in a old folk's club where there were several tables playing poker. He decided to join in on the fun and asked how much was the buy in. One of the players said 10. So the fellow telling the story said he pulled a 10 dollar bill out of his wallet and threw it down on the table. The old men and women at the table stared at the bill in silent shock for a long awkward moment until one of them said, "10 cents.....".

17. Jun 27, 2008 #16

If you want to play any poker, then you want at least a $1/2 blind with a min buy in of $200.00

I dont play poker anymore becuase I cant take the bad beats against idiots playing stupid cards and getting lucky, sucking out all your money. I dont mind losing a large pot to pocket aces, but not to off-suited CRAP against something like Ace Jack or Ace Queen.

18. Jun 28, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

You learn by playing and by paying attention. When another player ends up taking a pot with a solid hand or tries bluffing with crap, think back on his behavior during that hand. Most people have "tells" when they get really hot or really cold hands. Learning how to calculate your odds of getting the cards you need vs the cost of staying in is the key to playing smart, but if you want to win consistently, you also have to learn to read the other players. Anybody can be dealt aces in the hole - it's your job to detect someone with a hot hand early enough to avoid throwing your money his way.

19. Jun 28, 2008 #18

This is why you don't play with random people if it's for a low money amount.

20. Jun 28, 2008 #19

I know people that play at tables where the pot can build up to almost 1k, and they say the same thing.

21. Jun 28, 2008 #20

I don't get the terminology, but are you saying that people play a bad hand, i.e. a pair of 4s, against something good like a four of a kind? Wouldn't that be good for you? Or am I just confused?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?