1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone please help me with Analysis

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove: If the Lim as x goes to a of F(x)=infinity, then lim as x goes to a of 1/F(x)=0

2. Relevant equations

We have only gone over limits and continuity using delta epsilion proofs.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    what have you tried? this is straightforward in the sense that it follows from the definitions

show us what you have tried
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    Since the limit is equal to infinity I took an M greater than zero such that X>M implies |F(x)-L| is less than epsilon but I get confused with the one over F(x)=0
  5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    am I on the right track? I am really confused!
  6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    this is wrong, lim x->a F(x) = inf means for all M > 0 there is a d > 0 s.t. |x-a| < d implies |F(x)| > M. (you can actually drop the absolute value sign here but i'll leave it)
  7. Mar 22, 2008 #6
    ok I understand this definition but how does that help me get lim as x goes to a of 1/f(x)=0? This definition will help me prove another one I was having trouble with. thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?