Do you remember DEADBEEF from your early programming days?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
In summary, 0xDEADBEEF happens to be the decimal number 3735928559, although that's of no real consequence.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
from programming long ago?

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

no.

Sure. The hex number 0xDEADBEEF happens to be the decimal number 3735928559, although that's of no real consequence.

Maybe it's his phone number. :nb)

I remember that we used it as a default setting a few years ago (I don't remember the exact application), but it was pointed out that it might not sit well with our vegetarian customers (which we never thought of), so we changed it. Not so much to be PC, but to avoid potential conflicts. (And that was before I married a vegetarian...) :smile:

I tried to relate a few hexadecimal jokes before but they fell flat. Either jokes made with words formed from the first six letters of the alphabet (combined with digits 0..9 ?) are not funny or people do not program hex any more. Cafe Dead, Feed Beef, Deaf Fade, Aced Deed.
Ho-Hum 😌

Klystron said:
I tried to relate a few hexadecimal jokes before but they fell flat.

I agree. Jokes are better in other bases:
Why do programmers confuse Christmas with Halloween?
Because 31 Oct = 25 Dec

Yep.

• Love
Likes Klystron
Yep.

Code:
 _   _
((___))
[ x x ]
 \   /
 (' ')
  (U)

• Haha
Likes 256bits and Klystron
Wow. This takes me back to the days when 32767 was the highest number in the universe!

I seem to have some recollection that deadbeef was null data on some systems... i.e. if you read some section of a program or data space that contained null data (as opposed to just zeros or random noise), than you would see deadbeef, in hex... but this is just a vague wisp of unrefreshed memory.

diogenesNY

Likes DrClaude
jim mcnamara said:
from programming long ago?
Sure, and there are many more as well. We used these values when we needed something that would stand out in a hex dump (either scanning visually or searching), or a recognizable sentinel value

A few others: FEEDBEEF, FEEDFACE, DEAFBEEF, ...

Likes Klystron
Solaris' malloc uses it to mark free memory. FWIW.

1. What is DEADBEEF in programming?

DEADBEEF is a hexadecimal value often used as a placeholder or test value in computer programming. It is commonly used because it is easy to remember and visually distinguishable.

2. Why is DEADBEEF used in programming?

DEADBEEF is used in programming as a placeholder value or for testing purposes. It is not a valid instruction or data, so it can easily be identified and replaced with the correct value later on.

3. How did DEADBEEF become a popular placeholder value?

The origin of DEADBEEF as a placeholder value is not definitively known. Some speculate that it may have originated from the use of hexadecimal values in early programming, where the letters D and B were used to represent the numbers 13 and 11 respectively.

4. Is DEADBEEF still used in modern programming?

While DEADBEEF is not used as frequently as it was in early programming days, it is still used as a placeholder or test value in some modern programming languages and environments.

5. Are there any other common placeholder values in programming?

Yes, there are other common placeholder values in programming, such as FOO, BAR, and BAZ. These values are also used because they are easy to remember and visually distinguishable.