JW v. Supreme Court: Unemployment Compensation for Religious Convictions?

• News
  • Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
In summary, The Supreme Court ruled in 1981 in the case of Thomas v. Review Board of the Indiana Employment Security Division that religious beliefs can be considered good cause for voluntary quit. The case was brought by Jehovah's Witness Eddie C. Thomas, who quit his job at a machinery company because he was transferred to work on war materials, which went against his religious convictions. The case was found through a specific Google search using keywords such as "Jehovah's Witness," "Supreme Court," "military," and "1981." Another case that was mentioned in the conversation was the 1980 boycott of the Olympics by President Carter in protest against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. This decision was an executive action and there was
Soaring Crane
JW in 1981 asked the Supreme Court to rule whether he was entitled to unemployment compensation. JW had worked for a machinery company and quit when his old job was eliminated, and he was transferred to fabricating gun turrets for tanks. He claimed religious convictions prevented him from working on war materials.

Does anyone recall the name of this case? I can't find it. :frown:

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you just know this case or was there a particular search method that you used to go through the cases?

Thanks again!

I vaguely remembered the case - but I used an effective google search with

"Jehovah's Witness","Supreme Court","military","1981" - I put that in the seach engine directly like that.

One has to be very specific when "looking for needles in a hay stack".

Quakers, Jehovah's Witnesses, and some other religious groups can obtain Conscientious Objector Status because they have a history of opposion war.

This is another case that I'm having trouble with.

President Carter in 1980 withdrew the US from the Olympics in protest against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In 1981, irate athletes appealed to the Supreme Court for redress against a decision that denied them the right to earn a gold medal.

I tried searching with "1981", "Supreme Court", "Olympic athletes", and "redress," but I didn't come up with the case's name. By the way, was this withdrawal an executive action?

Thanks for any help.

Carter made the decision to boycott the 1980 Olympics, so it was an "executive decision". However, I could not find the case in the Supreme Court. Are you sure that it got to the Supreme Court? They may have dismissed it.

I think Reagan had some involvement in this during 1981. He apparently had several reversals for and against the boycott, but apparently decided in favor of President Carter's position.

This is a case the Court rejected, but so was Tileston v. Ullman.

1. What is the "Anyone remember this case?"

"Anyone remember this case?" is a phrase commonly used in forums or discussion boards where individuals try to recall a particular event or incident that they have vague memories of.

2. Why do people ask about "Anyone remember this case?"

People often ask about "Anyone remember this case?" because they are curious about a specific event or incident that they have heard or read about but cannot remember all the details. They may also be seeking validation for their memories or looking for others who may have similar recollections.

3. How can someone find out more information about "Anyone remember this case?"

There are a few ways to find out more information about "Anyone remember this case?". One way is to do a quick online search using keywords related to the event or incident. Another way is to reach out to others who may have knowledge or memories of the case through forums or social media groups.

4. Is there any scientific basis for asking about "Anyone remember this case?"

While there is no specific scientific study on the phrase "Anyone remember this case?", there is research on the phenomenon of memory recall and how it can be influenced by external factors such as suggestion and social interaction. Asking about a particular case or event may trigger memories and lead to a more accurate recollection of the event.

5. Can asking about "Anyone remember this case?" be helpful in solving crimes or mysteries?

Asking about "Anyone remember this case?" can potentially be helpful in solving crimes or mysteries. The collective memories and discussions of individuals may bring new information or perspectives to light, leading to a breakthrough in the case. However, it is important to also consider the reliability and accuracy of memories, as they can be influenced by various factors.