Anyone(s) want to team up in covering a many-body book?

• Thread starter sam_bell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about forming a group to read a many-body (cond-matter field theory) book and work on problems together. The books being considered are Condensed Matter Field Theory by B. Simons and A. Altland, Quantum Many Particle Systems by Negele and Orland, and Quantum Theory of Many Particle Systems by Fetter and Walecka. The person initiating the conversation has chosen QMPS by Negele and Orland and is looking for interested participants to work on problems together via live chat or Skype.
sam_bell
Hi. Does anyone(s) want to join me in reading a many-body (cond-matter field theory) book? I find it difficult to stay motivated if I'm doing it on my own. Something like read a section or two each week, discuss questions with each other, and work on some of the problems as a team. Never tried this before, so logistics are kind of an open question. Maybe Skype.

Was thinking one of:
Condensed Matter Field Theory by B. Simons and A. Altland
Quantum Many Particle Systems by Negele and Orland
Quantum Theory of Many Particle Systems by Fetter and Walecka

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Start a thread with your thoughts and see how far it goes. I might be interested in working along... first pick a book and let us know.

Allright then. I'm going with QMPS by Negele and Orland, because I've already read the 1st chapter (long ago, I'll need to review it) and because it favors clarity over clever arguments.

Message me if anyone wants to work together on one of the more interesting chapter problems next Saturday by live chat or skype (more for picture of equations really). A test run too. Might be some initial hurdles. Hopefully there are some takers. I realize it's not an easy topic.

1. What is a "many-body book"?

A "many-body book" refers to a scientific or academic publication that focuses on the study of systems consisting of many interacting particles, such as atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles. These books often cover topics related to quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics.

2. Why would someone want to team up in covering a many-body book?

Collaborating with others can be beneficial when studying complex topics like many-body systems. By teaming up, individuals can share their knowledge and insights, discuss difficult concepts, and provide support and motivation to one another. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the material and a more comprehensive coverage of the book.

3. What are the benefits of covering a many-body book?

Covering a many-body book can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and theories behind the behavior of complex systems. It can also help individuals develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as improve their ability to communicate and collaborate with others in a scientific setting.

4. How can one find others to team up with in covering a many-body book?

One can find potential collaborators by reaching out to colleagues or classmates who have a similar interest in the subject matter. Online forums and social media groups related to the topic can also be a useful resource for finding like-minded individuals. Additionally, universities or research institutions may have study groups or discussion forums for students and researchers interested in many-body systems.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge or experience in many-body systems to cover a many-body book?

While prior knowledge or experience in many-body systems can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Collaborating with others who have a different level of understanding can be beneficial as it allows for the exchange of different perspectives and insights. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the relevant concepts and mathematics in order to effectively cover a many-body book.