Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone seen Danger?

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

His last time online was 6-3, with his health, I'm very worried.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Nope, and while we have compatible interests in many areas, I never got reliable info for personal contact. My bad.

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3

Evo

I guess that I am especially paranoid because my brother in law had the same condition, then got an infection, and suddenly died within a couple of weeks.

So SHOW UP and prove me wrong Danger.

He's probably just having ISP problems or on a vacation.

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

If I can lure him to the states, I'll treat him to a few days of really high-power firearms. 10mm Auto pistols and over-loaded .45-70 rifle should be fun.

6. Jun 21, 2010 #5

Evo

He'd love that, the local constabulatory confiscated his firearms.

I swear I really have to get that list of emergency contacts for GD members. I feel so close to everyone, yet now realize I don't know how to check on some of you should anything happen! :cry:

7. Jun 21, 2010 #6
    It's my understanding that he's in my neck of the woods somewhere. If anyone has anything more precise than that, I can see what I can do.

8. Jun 21, 2010 #7

Evo

We need to have some kind of contact network, even if it is "should I disappear, contact member so and so".

And anyone that disappears for 2 weeks without clearing it with me first will be BANNED.

I'm a WORRIER!!!

9. Jun 21, 2010 #8
    I can recall from my weak memories that he was using his wife internet and did not have his own...

10. Jun 21, 2010 #9

Evo

That was quite a while back.

11. Jun 21, 2010 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, his wife isn't his wife anymore as far as I know. I haven't heard from him in a long time. But, it's hard to know with him. He has from time to time run into problems with internet access or computers, which limits him from getting online to let us know all is okay.

On the other hand, his ongoing health issues are also cause for concern. I hope that someone he knows in real life has been told that there are a whole lot of us who are online friends who would want to know if anything bad ever happened.

(And, yep, Georgina and I are each others' online emergency contacts. :biggrin:)

12. Jun 21, 2010 #11
    I'm sure he's fine. It's good you worry though Evo.

EDIT: If anything shall happen to me I'll make sure my family knows to make a post here :tongue: hahahaha

13. Jun 21, 2010 #12
    This is weird - how does anyone know anyone else on here...

14. Jun 21, 2010 #13
    We all talk to each other frequently... There are some members in the forums who if they stopped posting I would wonder about them. It wasn't so long ago that a member of this forum had passed away.

15. Jun 21, 2010 #14

Evo

Yeah, we're like one big dysfunctional family. :smile:

People here form attachments and friendships. I would worry if Zom disappeared, he's like the son I never had. You can't pick your relatives. :tongue2:

16. Jun 22, 2010 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of us even manage to meet ftf. A few years back Ivan Seeking and I met on PF but soon discovered that we live about 15mi apart. We have become good friends in the non virtual world.

17. Jun 22, 2010 #16
    Heyyyyyyy!

18. Jun 22, 2010 #17
    We actually conceived of an online buddy system many, many years ago when a couple of message board people disappeared and no one knew what had happened. It's really distressing to spend so much time with people, and get to know them -- in a manner -- and then simply have them disappear. It truly hurts.

So, yeah, Moonbear and I have been on message boards together for well over a decade and have developed enough trust and friendship to exchange phone numbers and e-mail addresses for people close to us to get contacted. For instance, she has my best friend's e-mail address, and she would absolutely know if anything happened to me and knows to tell Moonbear. Or, we can just call each other. It's a good system, and I wish everyone would adopt at least one person who other people could follow up with.

We develop real feelings and real attachments to people online. We shouldn't disregard that or treat it lightly.

19. Jun 22, 2010 #18
    I've met members of this forum and they even came to stay with us.
    Make buddies here is all I do. I don't physics! :uhh:

20. Jun 22, 2010 #19
    But back to the subject at hand, if anyone can narrow down or give me some clues where I might start looking for Danger around here, I'd certainly do it. If anyone has a real name or area of the city I might start looking in. I could call local hospitals and whatnot. If anyone has something and would like to PM it to me, please do. I'd give it a shot.

21. Jun 22, 2010 #20
    The last I talk to him he mentioned having employment issues. I feel bad mentioning it since I am not sure if he had said, or intended to say, anything publicly about it but I do not think he would mind much. I am thinking, and hoping, that it is only monetary issues that is keeping him from internet access. Best case scenario he is gainfully employed and too busy to hit the library but not made enough money to start paying for internet access yet.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook