1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Anyone seen this theory book?

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone here looked at A Course in Theoretical Physics by P.J. Shepherd? It seems to cover a lot of good topics, but does it do a good job?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Its a fairly new book and there's no reviews on Amazon yet so any comments here would have to be from personal experience. The book is also a first edition which means there are likely some errata.

I did find this first chapter of the book with an included table of contents. In the table of contents, the first few chapters cover a lot of ground whereas the later chapters seem to gloss through the subject matter to be covered. I'm thinking this pdf came out before the book was finished in order to get pre-orders for it.

https://download.e-bookshelf.de/download/0000/7530/28/L-G-0000753028-0002366114.pdf

MENTOR NOTE: PDF is a book preview with TOC and first chapter only.

It looks like an interesting book though.

4. Nov 17, 2015 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't usually comment on books with no specialized topic, but this seems like a good writing. It more than scratches the surface for all its subjects and it's pretty clear to me he more than just simply read the Landau & Lishits series (especially the 2nd volume on classical field theory).

I'm not a fan of thi types of books who put the standard material into a superficial mathematical context, but for its author's purpose it does a good job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted