Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone still in school and have children?

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    I have a 14 month old, and I'm in my junior year of college. I'm pursuing a physics degree, but it's tough. I can only fit 2 classes in a semester, though I might be able to swing 3 classes for the fall semester. I am a stay at home mom during the day and work nights and weekends.
    I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? and how do you survive? How do you find time for homework and studying. I am interested in any and all tips.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. I even have a grandchild.

Probably not even close to being on the same level as working and going to school with a small child. My daughter's doing that as a single parent and I don't know how she does it.

I only have to deal with that sort of thing during a crisis and everything still feels like it's about to crash. Even with the older ones, you get one in the hospital and all sorts of complications pop up. You still have to work some, or at least it's a good idea even you're not working particularly effectively that week, and some would be in a situation where they just flat out can't afford to miss work. You want to spend a lot of time visiting in the hospital. You have to get things sorted out at home so they can survive on a single floor and have at least a few days where you have to worry about them being home alone. Forget about relying on leniency from the instructor because you have group projects and other folks are relying on your work. You're way short on sleep. Even with his sister and girlfriend and some other friends to help out, you still come up barely short of keeping up.

I don't think I could do what my daughter's doing. That's a tough schedule working close to the edge and any crisis could turn into a disaster, schoolwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?