Anyone still in school and have children?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of being a stay-at-home mom while pursuing a physics degree in college. The speaker can only fit in 2 classes per semester, but may be able to take 3 in the fall. They also work nights and weekends. The speaker is interested in tips for managing their time for homework and studying, especially with a 14 month old child. Another person in the conversation mentions their daughter who is also a single parent in a similar situation and shares their own experiences with managing work, school, and family during a crisis. They express admiration for their daughter's ability to handle such a demanding schedule.
flame_m13
I have a 14 month old, and I'm in my junior year of college. I'm pursuing a physics degree, but it's tough. I can only fit 2 classes in a semester, though I might be able to swing 3 classes for the fall semester. I am a stay at home mom during the day and work nights and weekends.
I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? and how do you survive? How do you find time for homework and studying. I am interested in any and all tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
flame_m13 said:
I have a 14 month old, and I'm in my junior year of college. I'm pursuing a physics degree, but it's tough. I can only fit 2 classes in a semester, though I might be able to swing 3 classes for the fall semester. I am a stay at home mom during the day and work nights and weekends.
I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? and how do you survive? How do you find time for homework and studying. I am interested in any and all tips.

Yes. I even have a grandchild.

Probably not even close to being on the same level as working and going to school with a small child. My daughter's doing that as a single parent and I don't know how she does it.

I only have to deal with that sort of thing during a crisis and everything still feels like it's about to crash. Even with the older ones, you get one in the hospital and all sorts of complications pop up. You still have to work some, or at least it's a good idea even you're not working particularly effectively that week, and some would be in a situation where they just flat out can't afford to miss work. You want to spend a lot of time visiting in the hospital. You have to get things sorted out at home so they can survive on a single floor and have at least a few days where you have to worry about them being home alone. Forget about relying on leniency from the instructor because you have group projects and other folks are relying on your work. You're way short on sleep. Even with his sister and girlfriend and some other friends to help out, you still come up barely short of keeping up.

I don't think I could do what my daughter's doing. That's a tough schedule working close to the edge and any crisis could turn into a disaster, schoolwise.

I can understand the challenges of balancing school and parenthood. It takes a lot of dedication and determination to pursue a degree while also taking care of a young child. I commend you for your hard work and commitment to your education.

In terms of finding time for homework and studying, it can be helpful to create a schedule and prioritize your tasks. Utilizing pockets of time throughout the day, such as when your child is napping or playing independently, can also be beneficial. Additionally, seeking support from family, friends, or even hiring a babysitter can provide you with some dedicated study time.

Another tip is to try to incorporate your child into your studies. For example, if you are studying physics, you can involve your child in simple experiments or demonstrations to make learning more interactive and enjoyable for both of you.

It's also important to take care of yourself and find moments of relaxation and self-care. This can help you recharge and stay motivated in your studies.

Overall, being a parent and a student is a challenging but rewarding journey. Keep pushing forward and know that your hard work will pay off in the end. Best of luck to you.

1. How do parents balance school and parenting responsibilities?

Balancing school and parenting responsibilities can be challenging, but it is possible with good time management and support. It's important to prioritize tasks and communicate with professors or teachers about your responsibilities as a parent. It's also helpful to have a strong support system, whether it's family, friends, or a childcare provider.

2. What resources are available for parents who are still in school?

There are many resources available for parents who are still in school. Some schools offer on-campus childcare, financial aid for parents, and academic advising specifically for parents. Additionally, there are many online resources, support groups, and parenting organizations that can provide valuable tips and advice.

3. How do I manage my time effectively as a parent and student?

Managing time effectively as a parent and student is crucial. One strategy is to create a schedule or routine that includes dedicated time for both studying and parenting. It's also important to prioritize tasks and be flexible when unexpected responsibilities arise. Utilizing time-saving techniques, such as studying during your child's nap time, can also be helpful.

4. What are some challenges that parents face while still in school?

Some common challenges that parents face while still in school include finding a balance between school and parenting responsibilities, financial strain, and lack of support or understanding from others. Being a parent and a student can also be emotionally and physically draining, as it requires a lot of juggling and multitasking.

5. How can schools better support parents who are still in school?

Schools can better support parents who are still in school by offering resources such as on-campus childcare, flexible class schedules, and financial aid. Professors and teachers can also be understanding and accommodating of parents' responsibilities. Creating a supportive and inclusive environment for all students, including parents, is crucial for their success in school.