1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone taken a Plasma Physics class?

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    Has anyone taken a an undergraduate course in plasma physics? If so, what text did you use and how did you like it? I need a text for plasma physics because:

1) I'm taking the course next semester and the professor doesn't use a textbook and he's also apparently a horrible teacher, so I'm buying a book anyway.
    2) I need a good plasma text to learn/refer from for my job this summer.

I've been having a hard time finding any sort of information about this, and I'm posting here because no one ever looks at the Science Book Reviews section where I originally posted. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2
    It's probably too late, but I'll chime in.

Introduction to Plasma Physics by FF Chen is a good introduction.

Principles of Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing by Lieberman and Lichtenberg is also a good book.

Principles of Plasma Physics by Krall and Trivelpiece is a decent beginner book, better for a bit more advanced stuff.

If you're interested in diagnostics, look at Principle of Plasma Diagnostics by Hutchinson or Plasma Diagnostic Techniques by Huddlestone.

4. Sep 9, 2005 #3
    Suggestions by Geoff are very good indeed, assuming you are interresting in plasma physics for nuclear fusion.

Note that plasma physics is a very broad discipline.

Additional references I like much are:

-Principles of plasma electrodynamics, Alexandrov & al, Springer
    deal with waves in plasma

- Theory of tokamak plasmas, RB White, North Holland

- Plasma physics for nuclear fusion, K Miyamoto, MIT press

- Transport processes in plasmas, R Balescu, North Holland

- Basic plasma physics, Rosenbluth et al, North Holland

I could could be more precise if you could explain your plan with a little more details.

Michel

5. Sep 9, 2005 #4
    The only one of the above books that is really fusion oriented is Krall and Trivelpiece and a little bit of Chen. The rest are pretty broad, though mostly geared towards laboratory plasmas. Though fusion is what I'm working in (on a Tokamak).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook