Anyone tried "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring?

• Construction
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary: After that, you could lay the vinyl. I imagine that if you have a lot of high spots or dips, you would need to do some sanding or filling before laying the vinyl. Otherwise, the high spots or dips would show through.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Tell about you experience with "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring. (The planks don't interlock and they aren't glued down.)
I like to hear from anyone who has tried "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring. (e.g. ).

I don't understand how it can possibly work. Local hardware stores don't stock it, so I haven't seen any samples.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the planks themselves are waterproof by design, but water can seep up from below or soak down from above in some cases. It sounds like it all dries out naturally and the planks are not harmed...

https://www.floorstoyourhome.com/faq.html
1566926931386.png

Have not used them but I can imagine that if they are layed on a surface that is not very smooth like nailed plywood or roughly finished concrete that the final result won't look like the promotional video above.

Likes berkeman
Spinnor said:
Have not used them but I can imagine that if they are layed on a surface that is not very smooth like nailed plywood or roughly finished concrete that the final result won't look like the promotional video above.
Yeah, good point. I haven't laid floor in the past, but what kind of prep is typical for laying flooring? I'm guessing you need a pretty smooth underlayment for any flooring installation?

berkeman said:
Yeah, good point. I haven't laid floor in the past, but what kind of prep is typical for laying flooring?

From what I remember the tolerances for the "flatness" of the floor is pretty extreme, this I am sure is in part to cover their butts legally if something goes wrong with the floor. I think a typical number is 1/4 inch in 10 feet so to follow the instructions properly every floor will need considerable prep.

"¼" in 10ft., Slope not more than 1" per 6 ft. (6mm in 3m, Slope not more than 25mm per 1.8m) No abrupt height differences. High spots should be sanded or ground down and low areas should be filled "

From, https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/01/018cc06a-4edd-45f5-a66c-4b5c82445898.pdf

From, https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifePro...-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I966106L/300699284

The first number I think means that if you place a 10 foot straight-edge on the floor you could not have more then a 1/4 inch gap along the bottom of the straight-edge. Typical concrete or plywood substrates I think are normally much more uneven.

I see a lot of what looks like this in nursing homes.

You could put down some kind of underlayment (thin relatively cheap plywood) to smooth things out a bit.

1. What is "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring?

"Loose lay" vinyl plank flooring is a type of flooring that does not require any adhesive or locking mechanism to install. It is designed to lay flat on the subfloor, creating a floating floor. This type of flooring is typically made of vinyl and has a thicker and more durable construction compared to traditional vinyl flooring.

2. How is "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring installed?

The installation process for "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring is relatively simple and can be done by a homeowner without professional help. The planks are cut to fit the dimensions of the room and then laid down on the subfloor. The planks are then pressed together to create a tight fit. No adhesive or locking mechanism is needed, making it easy to install and remove if needed.

3. Is "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring water-resistant?

Yes, most "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring is water-resistant, making it a popular choice for bathrooms, kitchens, and other areas prone to moisture. However, it is important to note that this type of flooring is not waterproof and can still be damaged by excessive water or moisture. It is recommended to clean up any spills or standing water immediately to prevent damage.

4. Can "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring be used in high-traffic areas?

Yes, "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring is designed to be durable and can withstand high foot traffic. It is a popular choice for commercial spaces such as offices and retail stores. However, it is important to choose a high-quality product and follow proper maintenance and care guidelines to ensure the longevity of the flooring in high-traffic areas.

5. How does "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring compare to other types of flooring?

Compared to other types of flooring, "loose lay" vinyl plank flooring is relatively easy to install, affordable, and low maintenance. It is also more durable and water-resistant than traditional vinyl flooring. However, it may not have the same aesthetic appeal as hardwood or tile flooring, and it is not as long-lasting as these types of flooring options.