How can I add an indicator light to my OPB745 sensor?

• Thread starter oslaught
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the sensor does not have an indicating light that show if it is activated, so a 5V led cannot be used as an indicator.
oslaught
Hi all,

i got e above mention sensor for my mini project. encounter a problem is that the sensor does not have an indicating light that show if the sensor is activated.
i've measure between the GND and the signal output which gives a 4.8V when nothing is sense. when there's object infront, the voltage will drop to ~2.2V. I've try connecting a 5V led between it, but does not work as the output signal doesn't give a pure GND.

like to know if there's anyway i can connect the led as a indicator for the sensor. maybe a circuit?

thank you all.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. It helps us to help you if you provide a link to the datasheet for the part that you are asking about. I used google and then Mouser to get this one:

http://www.optekinc.com/pdf/OPB745.pdf

You need to buffer the output of this reflective photosensor in order to drive an LED reliably. Just put a comparator at the output of the Darlington phototransistor, and drive the LED with the output of the comparator. Be sure to design your comparator circuit with good margin on the trip levels, and with positive feedback to provide hysteresis.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. It helps us to help you if you provide a link to the datasheet for the part that you are asking about. I used google and then Mouser to get this one:

http://www.optekinc.com/pdf/OPB745.pdf

You need to buffer the output of this reflective photosensor in order to drive an LED reliably. Just put a comparator at the output of the Darlington phototransistor, and drive the LED with the output of the comparator. Be sure to design your comparator circuit with good margin on the trip levels, and with positive feedback to provide hysteresis.

Hi berkeman. thanks for finding the link. yup, that's the sensor.
I'm more of a electrical guy, not so into electronic. Possible to explain more on what/how to make it works. meanwhile I'll ask my friend about it too.
Thanks alot..

1. How does the OPB745 sensor work?

The OPB745 sensor works by emitting an infrared light and measuring the amount of light reflected back. When an object is in close proximity to the sensor, it will reflect more light back, causing a change in the sensor's output signal.

2. What is the accuracy of the OPB745 sensor?

The accuracy of the OPB745 sensor depends on various factors such as ambient light, temperature, and distance from the object being detected. Generally, it has an accuracy of ±1mm to ±5mm.

3. Can the OPB745 sensor detect different types of materials?

Yes, the OPB745 sensor can detect a variety of materials including metal, plastic, and wood. However, the reflectivity of the material may affect the accuracy of the sensor.

4. What is the maximum range of the OPB745 sensor?

The maximum range of the OPB745 sensor is typically around 10cm, but this can vary depending on the specific model and conditions of use.

5. How can the OPB745 sensor be used in different applications?

The OPB745 sensor can be used in a wide range of applications, including proximity detection, object counting, and position sensing. It is commonly used in robotics, automation, and industrial control systems.