Improve Your Chemistry Skills with this Free Quiz - Check it Out Now!

In summary: The boiling point goes up because the vapor pressure is lowered. It requires more energy input to extract the molecules from the solution.This is correct. What will happen to the vapor pressure when you dissolve more substance?It'll lower more until it becomes saturated.Anyone else?
Shackleford
See link.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=138166&d=1214890282

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just skimmed - mostly OK, but at least one obvious error.

Borek said:
Just skimmed - mostly OK, but at least one obvious error.

Hmm. I finished this late last night. What's the obvious error?

Sorry, you will not get it from me, unless you are ready to split your grade :wink:

Borek said:
Sorry, you will not get it from me, unless you are ready to split your grade :wink:

I can get it from you. This is an open-notes, open-book, open-person, take-home quiz. Just tell me the numbers, and I'll take a look at them.

Well, for starters, one of your answers in 1) is wrong...

Huh, missed that one.

Which means there is still another mistake on the other end :wink:

chemisttree said:
Well, for starters, one of your answers in 1) is wrong...

I don't see that one is wrong. Molecules with similar intermolecular forces will dissolve each other. Ionic compounds require polar molecules to dissolve. As far as I can tell, my answers reflect that. I also looked over the rest and didn't catch any error. I'll need a little more than there's just one wrong.

Last edited:
Does CaO dissolve in water?

What is boiling? When does the liquid boil and why?

Borek said:
Does CaO dissolve in water?

What is boiling? When does the liquid boil and why?

I don't see CaO and water in number one.

The boiling point is when the vapor pressure equals or exceeds the atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:
I never told there is CaO in number one, I just asked whether CaO dissolves in water. If CaO doesn't suit you, you may answer question about Na2O solubility :wink:

The boiling point is when the vapor pressure equals or exceeds the atmospheric pressure.

That's correct. Now, why does the boiling point go up when you dissolve some substance?

Borek said:
I never told there is CaO in number one, I just asked whether CaO dissolves in water. If CaO doesn't suit you, you may answer question about Na2 solubility.
That's correct. Now, why does the boiling point go up when you dissolve some substance?

I would say CaO does dissolve in water. It's an ionic compound, and they require a polar molecule in which to dissolve. A water molecule is polar.

The boiling point goes up because the vapor pressure is lowered. It requires more energy input to extract the molecules from the solution.

Last edited:
Shackleford said:
I would say CaO does dissolve in water. It's an ionic compound, and they require a polar molecule in which to dissolve. A water molecule is polar.

No, this is chemistry, sometimes instead of dissolving things react or don't react.

The boiling point goes up because the vapor pressure is lowered. It requires more energy input to extract the molecules from the solution.

Correct. What will happen to the vapor pressure when you dissolve more substance?

Borek said:
No, this is chemistry, sometimes instead of dissolving things react or don't react.

Correct. What will happen to the vapor pressure when you dissolve more substance?

It'll lower more until it becomes saturated.

Anyone else?

You were given many hints. Have you checked what happens to CaO in water? Have you checked what is the chemistry of the only oxide present on the question sheet? Have you checked answers that deal with the changes in boiling point or vapor pressure?

Borek said:
You were given many hints. Have you checked what happens to CaO in water? Have you checked what is the chemistry of the only oxide present on the question sheet? Have you checked answers that deal with the changes in boiling point or vapor pressure?

At the risk of sounding redundant, I already said I looked over the problems and didn't catch any mistakes. I took the first CHEM course over two years ago.

Shackleford said:
I don't see that one is wrong. Molecules with similar intermolecular forces will dissolve each other. Ionic compounds require polar molecules to dissolve. As far as I can tell, my answers reflect that. I also looked over the rest and didn't catch any error. I'll need a little more than there's just one wrong.

You are making the (wrong) assumption that all inorganic compounds are purely ionic compounds and that they ionize completely (or mostly) in water. Calcium silicate (a major component in hydrated portland cement) is an example of an inorganic compound that has largely but not entirely ionic bonds. It does not dissolve appreciably in water. Calcium silicate is not on your list but I'll bet you can quickly find the compound that I was referring to.

Hint: Bayer process

What is the purpose of this quiz?

The purpose of this quiz is to help individuals improve their chemistry skills by testing their knowledge and understanding of key concepts and principles in chemistry.

Who should take this quiz?

This quiz is suitable for anyone interested in chemistry, whether they are students, teachers, or simply curious about the subject.

What topics does this quiz cover?

This quiz covers a wide range of topics in chemistry, including basic concepts, periodic table, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, and more.

Is this quiz free to take?

Yes, this quiz is completely free to take and can be accessed anytime and anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.

How can I use this quiz to improve my chemistry skills?

By taking this quiz, you can identify your strengths and weaknesses in chemistry and focus on improving your understanding of the topics you struggle with. You can also use the quiz as a study tool to review and reinforce your knowledge.