Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone want to try for 11?

1. Feb 20, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2004 #2
    So this drunk old dude hits 10 cars in 8 minutes over a 1 km distance, oy. So he was driving 7.5km/hr and hit a car every 75 seconds, firstly I didn't think you could even drive that slow and second I'm surprised he wasn't stopped when he hit the cars with such little speed. Anyway of course the crazy part is the statement given by the police that since he was driving so slow he hadn't endangered anyone, I have to call #$**^%it on that one. Of course he could have reved it and hit someone, or in his drunken state hit someone at 7.5km/hr not hurt them too badly bu then back over them a couple times to try to figure out what that weird thunking noise was.

Well kids I guess the lesson learned here is don't be a an old drunk dude. No thats not it, I mean don't hit cars because it's just plain wrong. No thanks not it either, I mean if you are going to be a old drunk dude and hit a wall do so at a speed not exceeding 7.5km/hr and do not hit more than 1 car every 75 seconds as you don't want to endanger anyone:wink: !!

4. Feb 22, 2004 #3
    The moral might also be that if you want to practise for your next demolition derby, try the streets of Finland.

I just find it nearly impossible to comrehend how anyone, no matter how drunk, could hit ten cars, and after each collision come to the same conclusion that it was somehow better to keep going. Thank God for the strategically placed brick wall, because it's clear he would never, otherwise, have stopped.

5. Feb 22, 2004 #4
    So what do you think is the best way to deter people from driving drunk? Do you crack down, lowering the legal limit of blood alcohol levels and dole out harsher punishments or do you loosen laws and provide treatment to offenders?

Check out how various countries punish drunk drivers.
    www.drinkingdriving.net

It seems that having a policy of automatic arrest and jail time might actually worsen the problem.

www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen....html?id=30F27A5B-2220-4A27-B189-B5B1F04B45F0

Certainly increasing the chances of a person getting caught will help, but as far as punishment goes I don't think people will ever discontinue stupid behavior out of fear of the consequences, if they are dumb enough to drive drunk in the first place then they obviously aren't going to sit down and think about the possible consequences of their actions. What's your solution?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  6. Feb 22, 2004 #5
    I read somewhere that the first car accident on record happened when the only two people in one particular town somewhere who were well off enough to afford the then astronomically expensive machines had a head on collision on a small country road while they both happened to be out enjoying a Sunday drive after having gotten totally plastered.

Personally, I have never understood why the ongoing campaign against smoking that started twenty years ago, and which seems to have effectively made smoking into an "uncool" thing to do, wasn't directed against drinking instead. A campaign like this directed at up and coming gnerations is the only thing I can think of that might put a sizable dent in the percentage of drinkers, and hence, drunk drivers.

7. Feb 22, 2004 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I know what you're saying. A mass awareness campaign like the one for cigarette smoking couldn't hurt, but probably because "occasional" drinking isn't harmful, IMHO, and may in fact have some small health benefits, it hasn't been done. I know many people that have a glass of wine with dinner, and that's it. Or an occasional aperitif. A glass of champagne to toast a special celebration.

The problem is that there are those that can't stop once they start.

America tried prohibition, that was a miserable failure.

There was a ban on alcohol advertising on tv in the US for many years.

MADD provides alcohol education to teens in school.

8. Feb 22, 2004 #7
    Create a very complex system for starting the car that would take >10 minutes and involves highly complicated mathematical equations. It should work unless the drunk can computate while under the influence.

9. Feb 23, 2004 #8
    This might not be fair for the mathematically challenged. I guess I'd have time to work on my calculus while taking the bus

10. Feb 23, 2004 #9
    It would also keep thieves from stealing your car... unless that thief knows high level mathematics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?