Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone watch House?

1. Aug 29, 2006 #1
    If so, do you have any idea if the conditions and symptoms they treat on the show are at all real? IE, how accurate is the information on the show?

From past precedent, I'd expect there to be a fair amount of fluff, but not being a doctor I have no idea.

Just curious.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2006 #2
    I watch it; funny I see your thread when I was thinking about it...
    The show makes me want to become a doctor; that is, until I remember the amount of memorizing a medical student has to do.
    Pretty funny and dramatic show.
  4. Aug 29, 2006 #3
    I love that show, definitely one of my favorites. And yes as with any show I would imagine there is a fair amount of 'fluff' haha.
  5. Aug 30, 2006 #4
    All the conditions and symptoms are real (Yes, even the being immune to testosterone one, if that one hasn't played for you guys yet then ignore that comment >.>;). I imagine there is a fair amount of fluff in how they explain it (but neither am I a doctor), but I know the conditions are real.

<3 House =p
  6. Aug 30, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a great show, some of the best writing on tv imho. And of course Laurie & the cast don't do a bad job either.
  7. Aug 30, 2006 #6
    I've watched it several times and really enjoy Hugh Laurie.

I have been assuming all the medical conditions they treat are real, but I haven't checked. If that's an issue for you, you could write each thing down as you watch and google it or go to the library and check medical encyclopedias.
  8. Aug 30, 2006 #7
    Yeah I enjoy watching House because of the writing and characters, but not so much the story. Medicine's not really one of my interests; I just like the drama.
  9. Aug 30, 2006 #8
    I love the show. I can't wait for the next season.
  10. Aug 30, 2006 #9
    I personally love the Character House, aparently he is a play on Sherlock Holmes. The Apathetic Skeptic/Scientist who is always right xD.

Watching House makes me want to get a cane.

Edit: Found Somewhere!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  11. Aug 30, 2006 #10

Staff: Mentor

The writers apparently consult doctors and staff at Centers for Disease Control, so individual illnesses and symptoms may be accurate, but the plots are contrived and implausible.

The matter was discussed on Fresh Air
    Two Davids and One Hit Show: 'House'
  12. Aug 30, 2006 #11

Gold Member

I love the show; W hates it. Of course some of the stuff is implausible, the same as with the CSI's. Things take a lot longer in reality, and doctors don't perform most of the procedures and tests. That doesn't work for a drama show where the heroes are supposed to be... er... heroic.
    By the bye, anyone see the episode of Inside Entertainment where Hugh Laurie (a very soft-spoken English chap in real life) discussed playing second-fiddle to a CGI mouse? Too funny.
  13. Aug 30, 2006 #12
    I think it's funny how in CSIs mass spectrometery and chomatography tests are always instant no matter how they're done.
  14. Aug 30, 2006 #13
    One of my favorite shows.

The only episode hated is the one where house gets shot...
  15. Aug 30, 2006 #14
    I quite agree but it's still compulsive viewing, and to be honest from what I know - working in a hospital - all doctors are like House to one degree or another. It's not a documentary it's a drama. Might as well say Allly Macbeal is a seering inditement of the world of lawyers.:smile:
  16. Aug 30, 2006 #15

Gold Member

Yes, especially when admiring "a smashing good pair of pants!"
    Prince George - BlackAdder
  17. Aug 31, 2006 #16
    I prefer his Bertie Wooster, from Jeeves and Wosster. That's classsic :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?