Did you sign the petition for Pink Floyd to reunite?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary: I must have missed the beginning).In summary, the Kaiser Chiefs were pretty good, but Pink Floyd's reunion was the best.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, who watched any of it?

I was vaguely enjoying most of the London afternoon, Sir Elton was rather entertaining, and The Who and Coldplay were pretty good too, and a surprise appearance from Richard Ashcroft, who'da thunk it? I caught a bit of Faithless in Berlin, but sadly the Germans didn't seem to get it (no, just put one finger in the air, and shout "one", ok? no? oh, sod it!). I'm wondering what the US are going to make of the Kaiser Chiefs...

But for me, the highlight was Pink Floyd's astounding reunion, how good was that?!

So, who's signed the petition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh man... I don't like to watch dillusional people.

Anyone else think its kinda weird that a bunch of millionaires are telling other people to deal with poverty?

And that they did this before and it didnt work...

well liek some people say y ou got to keep on trying..

www.live8live.com

Pengwuino said:
Oh man... I don't like to watch dillusional people.

Anyone else think its kinda weird that a bunch of millionaires are telling other people to deal with poverty?

Urrrm, David Gilmour just sold his £3.6 million house, and gave the proceeds to the cause.

And that they did this before and it didnt work...

It did a lot of good, I don't think anyone will argue with that.

Really? "Poverty is at an all time high" is all i hear from people. Really working eh...

And let's see... do you REALLY want me to go through and find out the assets these people have? And doesn't the fact that he had a house that expensive in the first place show you a little something?

Pengwuino said:
Really? "Poverty is at an all time high" is all i hear from people. Really working eh...

It's helping, I don't see how you can question that.

And let's see... do you REALLY want me to go through and find out the assets these people have? And doesn't the fact that he had a house that expensive in the first place show you a little something?

Urm yes, perhaps something to do with him being a very successful musician? What's that got to do with it anyway? These people have all been working for free to organise and run an absolutely massive event, when was the last time you did that?

Anyway, that's not the point. It's my thread, and I won't tolerate misery gutses! There's a reason I posted this in GD and not Politics, and there's a reason why the OP content was about the concerts and not the cause.

I remember the scandal from the last "celebrity" money raising event, 95% of the money went to "compensate" and "accommodate" the celebrities, they weren't "paid" but their airfare, hotels, limos, food, makeup artists, clothing etc...were all paid for out of the money raised, their promoters, all the people associated with "the cause", almost no money got into the hands of the people the money was raised for, but lots of free press for the "celebrities". :rolleyes:

Not to mention the huge tax write off for their "performances".

brewnog said:
It's helping, I don't see how you can question that.

Urm yes, perhaps something to do with him being a very successful musician? What's that got to do with it anyway? These people have all been working for free to organise and run an absolutely massive event, when was the last time you did that?

Anyway, that's not the point. It's my thread, and I won't tolerate misery gutses! There's a reason I posted this in GD and not Politics, and there's a reason why the OP content was about the concerts and not the cause.

Your right, this argument is better suited for a different thread.

I hadn't even heard of it until this thread. :rolleyes:

What do you mean about the Kaiser Chiefs? I like their music. Is there something crazy they did or something?

It wasnt about raising money though, live 8 was different to live aid because live 8 has set out to put pressure on the G8 summit to do something about it. It would be almost impossible to raise enough money and to do the right things with it to make a difference to Africa. The people that can make a difference are the leaders of the G8 and its about time they actually did something about it. I thought pink floyd where pretty boring, the Who where awesome though.

can't believe that even england and germany had better acts then Canada...

Oh, hmmm...I wonder if that's the concert being televised here now? We have Nascar on one channel, some show about a lawyer bribing judges or something on another channel, and a concert on the third channel. I just turned off the TV to sit outside to eat dinner (the TV was on while I was cooking...I wasn't paying much attention since I was walking in and out to the grill and reading stuff here while it was on).

neurocomp2003 said:
can't believe that even england and germany had better acts then Canada...
ok the hyde park show was pretty much untouchable, but Canada's lineup was awesome. tragically hip, barenaked ladies, neil young, etc are all Canadian legends. neil young wrote the perfect song for an occasion like this also, keep on rocking in the free world. he wrote it to mock george bush sr ("thousand points of light for the homeless man") but the message is still relevant today. it's too bad sarah mclachlan played philadelphia instead of barrie.

1. What was Live 8?

Live 8 was a series of benefit concerts held on July 2, 2005, in various cities around the world. The concerts aimed to raise awareness and funds for the Make Poverty History campaign and to pressure G8 leaders to address issues of poverty and debt in developing countries.

2. How many people watched Live 8?

The exact number of people who watched Live 8 is unknown, but it is estimated that over 3 billion people watched at least some part of the concerts, making it one of the most widely watched television events in history.

3. Who performed at Live 8?

Over 1,000 artists performed at the various Live 8 concerts, including popular bands and musicians such as U2, Coldplay, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney, and many more. The lineup also featured many African artists, highlighting the importance of the event's message.

4. Did Live 8 achieve its goals?

While Live 8 did not directly achieve its goal of canceling the debt of developing countries, it did bring global attention to the issue of poverty and debt. The event also played a part in the G8 leaders' decision to increase aid to Africa and provide debt relief for some of the world's poorest countries.

5. How did Live 8 impact the world?

Live 8 had a significant impact on the world by raising awareness about global poverty and inspiring people to take action. It also put pressure on world leaders to address the issue of poverty and debt in developing countries. Additionally, the event showcased the power of music as a tool for social change and brought people together from all over the world in support of a common cause.

Back