Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone watching Game of Thrones?

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    I just finished season 1! I'm a huge fan now!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What ever happened to reading the book? :-)

I saw a few episodes during one weekend when HBO was free but never got to see the rest. My son has read the books and likes the HBO series a lot too.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3

Dotini

Gold Member

Yes! I've watched all 3 seasons and read all 5 ASOIAF novels. I've also read the 3 Dunk and Egg prequels, and now I'm perusing Martin's earlier award-winning sci-fi, horror and fantasy. ("Armageddon Rag" is a novel that should appeal to rock music fans of the 60's). He's a fantastically good storyteller, on a par with the greatest of all time, IMHO. He uses symbolism that works on several levels, and like Shakespeare, writes in such a way as to appeal to a wide variety of readers. I've noticed a consistent theme of infracaninophilism, and a certain preoccupation with blood and its properties. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Nov 26, 2013 #4

Borek

I have seen all three seasons, episode daily, in October.

Rule number one: don't get attached to any person/fraction/family.

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5

Dotini

Gold Member

This is but one good reason why Game of Thrones is so refreshing and popular with viewers and critics; it demolishes stereotypical expectations of what a series drama should be.

7. Nov 26, 2013 #6
    5 books so 5 seasons? I agree with your comment borek. I like how most characters at least in season 2 were all complex not without faults. Obviously there are some people you end up rooting for though.

8. Nov 26, 2013 #7
    He hasn't finished writing the series yet. The last two books to come out were supposed to be 1 book, but it got so big that he split it into two.

I haven't seen the show but have read the books and they are amazing but I'm getting pretty PO'ed at Martin because he is moving at a snail's pace with this story. Each book simply expands the story further and barely gets you any closure. At this point, I don't think the guy will even finish the story, seeing as he takes so long to put out an installment. He seems to be too busy raking in the cash (IMO) to finish the damn story. I'm suspecting that if he ever does close this story, it will be in a rush to just get more movie/show deals or whatever.

9. Nov 26, 2013 #8

Borek

I believe he said in the case he won't have time to finish it, there is always a Red Comet solution - it hits Westeros, and kills everyone.

And judging from what have happened during all three seasons it is not an ending to be ruled out.

10. Nov 26, 2013 #9

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm, I loved the first season to bits, but the second one lacked that special something, that I can't put my finger on. It felt cheaper, gratuitious, deflated and forgettable.
    So forgettable, in fact, that I can't remember whether I watched the third season after that.

11. Nov 26, 2013 #10

Dotini

Gold Member

Yes, HBO are producing the series - the most popular cable TV series since The Sopranos - at a rate of one season per book. Five books (4,194 pages) have been published since 1996 from a currently projected total of seven. The sixth novel, "The Winds of Winter", is not likely to be finished before 2015. So its clear HBO will run out of material before the seventh and final book is published. They may be producing the prequels in the interim. Although Martin supposedly has had the story ending in mind from the beginning, he is understandably fussy about the quality of his work and his life. At age 65, he cannot be expected to hurriedly turn a word mill for his demanding fans.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  12. Nov 26, 2013 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I think it's quite safe to get attached to Tyrion Lannister. He's far and away the most interesting character on the show. So I don't think either George R R Martin or the HBO scriptwriters/producers are going to be willing to get rid of him for a very long time.

If they do it just to defy expectations, I predict it will backfire. Droves of people will simply stop watching.

13. Nov 26, 2013 #12

Dotini

Gold Member

"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things."
    Tyrion Lannister - A Game of Thrones

This is also expressing how George feels about Tyrion - and really about underdogs in general.
    Tyrion will be there at the end; of that we are pretty sure.

14. Nov 27, 2013 #13

Ryan_m_b

I've read the books and watched the TV series. The TV show is one of the few examples of something I think is as good as, if not better than, the book. Though as others have mentioned the TV show is being made at a rate of one series per year whereas GRRM took eleven years to release the last two. It will be interesting to see the show catch up and have to finish the story for him.

15. Nov 27, 2013 #14

Dotini

Gold Member

Before Game of Thrones, George did a long stint in Hollywood as a writer/producer, has worked on The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast, and various feature films that were never produced.

So when he hooked up with HBO, he was careful to retain the fullest possible authorial control of the rights by contract, and continues to work very closely together with them. He personally writes one HBO episode per season.

Alright, it's a fretful worry of some viewers and readers on fan forums such as westeros.org as to how a 7th season (!) of the popular series will be pulled off. But you've noticed how closely the TV production adheres to the general Song of Ice and Fire storyline, no matter how necessarily thinned down from the rich texture and complexly satisfying content found in the novels. So there will be no red comet wiping out Westeros, and no ginned up, non-canonical ending.

16. Nov 27, 2013 #15

Borek

Any source for that? Red comet theory has backing from GRRM himself:

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1496

I am sure he said that with tongue in cheek, still, these are his own words.

17. Nov 27, 2013 #16

Dotini

Gold Member

I've been reading numerous threads on westeros.org, viewing the Westeros history analysis on Youtube put out by Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson, and reading "Beyond the Wall", a collection of ASOIAF literary criticism by editors and writers.

(mild spoiler alert)
    People seem to agree that the red comet is a symbol or omen, viewed differently by characters all over The Known World as well as the continent of Westeros, that somehow reflects uniquely either the heraldic colors, wars and political agenda, family destiny, religious faith, etc., of the separate viewers. It is seen briefly then passes on. The comet is traditionally an omen of impending crisis in the physical and/or spiritual worlds - and in the realms of man. And don't forget the Others, briefly glimpsed in the prologue! They may be symbolized by ice, much as dragons and Targaryens may be symbolized by fire - or a fiery red comet. So, the comet works at a lot of levels. As a deus ex machina, prematurely ending the series for an impatient, frustrated audience, I don't think it works at all.

18. Nov 27, 2013 #17
    I just started watching, on season 2 ep 3 now, loving it.

I want syrio to return, by far the coolest character.

19. Nov 27, 2013 #18

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know you've literally been living under a rock for the past couple months but geez what took you so long?

20. Nov 28, 2013 #19

Borek

Decoding HD video is quite a job. Perhaps Greg has watched the episodes on an old, slow computer. My estimates show that if the device is capable of displaying around 0.14 frames per second, it takes two months to watch the first season (no pee breaks nor sleeping).

21. Nov 28, 2013 #20

phion

Gold Member

I will have to give this show a try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted