Anyone watching Game of Thrones? (spoilers)

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Tyrion Lannister is one of the more interesting and complex characters on the show, and I don't think HBO or George RR Martin are going to get rid of him anytime soon.
1MileCrash said:
The nth book does not cover the nth season exactly.

I agree and it's kind of problematic for me lol. I noticed a few big things not happening in season 3 that happened in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to be that guy, but the books were better.
There I said it.

Game of Thrones is some kind of cultural phenomenon into which I became ensorcelled in 2012.

The five books become intellectually and emotionally involving, and the HBO production is acquiring a reputation as a cure for depression and a source for artistic inspiration.

Dotini said:
[...] the HBO production is acquiring a reputation as a cure for depression [...]
Really? Do you have a source link for that?

strangerep said:
Really? Do you have a source link for that?

Yes, I'm very pleased to say that I do.:!)

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2013/10/game-of-thrones-stevie-nicks
Game of Thrones has been a point of obsession and intrigue for us over
its past three seasons on HBO. But if used correctly, Fleetwood Mac
front woman Stevie Nicks claims, the medieval fantasy series can also
have vaguely therapeutic applications--or at least it did for her.

While speaking to the Herald Scotland on the European leg of Fleetwood
Mac's current tour, Nicks segued a question about grieving her
mother's recent death to the HBO show. After she died, Nicks says, "I
didn't leave the house for almost five months.

"I worked on the edit of my documentary about the making of In Your
Dreams. And then I got pneumonia. With my pneumonia and my mother's
death I watched the entire first season of Game Of Thrones--so that was
great! That certainly took my mind off everything."

Not only did the series distract the Grammy winner, but it re-ignited
her creativity, inspiring her to write some G.O.T.-centric fan poems.
Explains Nicks, "I've written a bunch of poetry about it--one for each
of the characters. On Jon Snow. . . On Arya. . . On Cersei and Jaime."
She also says that she has a talent crush on the author of the Game of
Thrones book series, George R. R. Martin, who is her age, and "would
love to write some music" for the show.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I agree and it's kind of problematic for me lol. I noticed a few big things not happening in season 3 that happened in the book.
Season 3 is only half of the third book.

The wife and I watch it.

HomogenousCow said:
I hate to be that guy, but the books were better.
There I said it.

After seeing some of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy books butchered by their TV adaptations, I have long decided to avoid them like plague and stay with my books :uhh:

I don't like how they're rushing the series, they should take it slow and take advantage of the fact that this is a TV series and not a movie.

Game of thrones is one of the very few things I've seen that I think is better than the books. I've read them all and I find the inability to maintain a well paced story arc a massive drag. The series is better paced IMO.

Ryan_m_b said:
Game of thrones is one of the very few things I've seen that I think is better than the books. I've read them all and I find the inability to maintain a well paced story arc a massive drag. The series is better paced IMO.

I admit that the books do tend to meander about (especially the latest two books), however the scope and background offered by the books are far superior to that of the series.

wukunlin said:
After seeing some of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy books butchered by their TV adaptations, I have long decided to avoid them like plague and stay with my books :uhh:
The biggest complaint I've heard from the book readers is that the bit that took place in Qarth was disappointing. It was kind of bad, but it's a relatively small part of the second season. Now that Breaking Bad is over, this show is vastly superior to anything else on TV. So it would be a shame if you miss it because of a principle.

If you think it will be a problem that you know most of what's going to happen, think again. It wasn't a problem for me when I rewatched seasons 1-3 in december and january.

A new HBO viewership record was set Sunday night with nearly 7 million tuned in for 404, "Canon not found", as some have joked.

The show is increasingly departing from Martin's original epic fantasy, and a national chorus of controversy is still raging over the (Jaime/Cersie) Sept scene in episode 3 of this, the 4th season of a projected 7.

Martin himself is writing some of these departures, and they are mostly entertaining improvements of the POV-limited novels, and greatly expanding the character development of fan favorites like Brienne, Bronn and the Hound.

The shock reveal in the circle of ice stalagmites in 404 must now restore to readers the sense of suspense and apprehension we've missed in the show so far. A good thing!

Dotini said:
A new HBO viewership record was set Sunday night with nearly 7 million tuned in for 404, "Canon not found", as some have joked.

The show is increasingly departing from Martin's original epic fantasy, and a national chorus of controversy is still raging over the (Jaime/Cersie) Sept scene in episode 3 of this, the 4th season of a projected 7.

Martin himself is writing some of these departures, and they are mostly entertaining improvements of the POV-limited novels, and greatly expanding the character development of fan favorites like Brienne, Bronn and the Hound.

The shock reveal in the circle of ice stalagmites in 404 must now restore to readers the sense of suspense and apprehension we've missed in the show so far. A good thing!

I think that's the key. We have to remember that Martin is overseeing any changes, and so really just think of them as things that have been cut from the books bought are now sort of a DVD extra. They should still be considered cannon and not thought of as diverging from the story in any meaningful way. (though the Sept scene really pisses me off because it can possibly change your emotions toward some characters and it changes their motivations. I think I know why they did it, but it wasn't a good reason. I felt the same way about some Shae/Tyrion stuff too.)

Borek said:
-S9PdLH99bU[/youtube][/QUOTE] What...The...F... This is surely a sign of the apocalypse. :rofl:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/05/07/game-of-thrones-them/
The “Game of Thrones” theme song has been covered by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, the show’s cast and even a cat (yes, a cat. It is the Internet, after all).

Now, in one of the more creative renditions we’ve heard, YouTube sensation Dan Newbie remixes the classic tune using wine glasses, pots, pans, water bottles and other utensils. The clicks, clacks and taps reach a surprising range, paying proper tribute to the original version by composer Ramin Djawadi.

Borek said:
-S9PdLH99bU[/youtube][/QUOTE] I think I spied at least one goat in sheep's skin.

Dotini said:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/05/07/game-of-thrones-them/
The “Game of Thrones” theme song has been covered by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, the show’s cast and even a cat (yes, a cat. It is the Internet, after all).

Now, in one of the more creative renditions we’ve heard, YouTube sensation Dan Newbie remixes the classic tune using wine glasses, pots, pans, water bottles and other utensils. The clicks, clacks and taps reach a surprising range, paying proper tribute to the original version by composer Ramin Djawadi.

Makes me think of these two (unrelated to GoT) videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czujclci6uA&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU34pdvi07c&hd=1

(song and a cover)

I used to be a Game of Thrones fan. Now I am hooked on Stargate Atlantis :cool:

Science of Game of Thrones

Full HD season 5 trailer, just released:

Dotini said:
Full HD season 5 trailer,

(Sigh.) And I won't get to watch season 4 until end-Feb. :(

Greg Bernhardt said:
Any thoughts on the new season so far?

It's gone completely off the rails.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Any thoughts on the new season so far?
It's been a little slow. A lot of what's happening feels like setup for what's going to happen later. Arya has barely been in it at all, and the scenes with Tyrion have been a lot less awesome than we're used to. So I don't find it as good as the earlier seasons, but Game of Thrones at its worst is still the best thing on TV.

After season 2 I read 2.5 books, then stopped when it caught up to the end of season 2. I felt it was better to read the books later rather than start nit-picking the TV show where it diverged from the book. I really enjoy the show.

My GOT advisor/expert said to go ahead and finish the books since the show is now off on its own track. Little or no relation to the books.

It's a great show, even at its worst. I kinda envy the late-comers that get to binge watch.

Likes Dotini
Tried to... was overwhelmed with unbelief, as always when watching those who dine at restaurants try to dive into history...

Last edited:
arist said:
Tried to... was overwhelmed with unbelief, as always when watching those who dine at restaurants try to dive into history...

I'd be interested if you could expand on this. ASOIAF is a fantasy setting but the fantasy elements are largely played down. The rest of it seems pretty realistic, it's very much based on the real world War of the Roses. What parts overwhelmed you?

<p>
Ryan_m_b said:
I'd be interested if you could expand on this. ASOIAF is a fantasy setting but the fantasy elements are largely played down. The rest of it seems pretty realistic, it's very much based on the real world War of the Roses. What parts overwhelmed you?
</p><p><br></p
People who drive lux cars and use all the goods of progress, try to imitate those who relied on their muscles and wit... Even modern sports champions would fail at this, since they all have that shine of XXth century...

I'm afraid I don't see it. Are you suggesting the acting/script isn't appropriate for a medieval setting? Is there an obvious example you can think of?

Now I watch this show and Silicon Valley exclusively. :smile:

Likes Dotini
The latest episode was so good.

Likes Fredrik
phion said:
The latest episode was so good.
I think I'm starting to understand why they're deviating from the show.
Right now in the books, people are riding around the countryside and eating mutton pie.

The last episode was very good, I like that how they've diverged from the show. It's always risky when a TV show/film does that but game of thrones does it well. It's good we see the white walkers again, part of the issue I have with the books is how they're built up as this huge threat but rarely seen. After five books you get a bit desensitized to mentions of them given that it seemingly takes them years to walk a few miles south.

Episode 9 was pretty crazy.

-SPOILER ALERT-
I can't believe they went through with the whole child burning thing.