How do you write Nano is the largest in Chinese?

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
In summary: Babelfish gives me "納諾最大" as the translation for "Nano is the largest". Nano is the largest in Chinese. This is an easy language to learn because you only need to learn 4 box-shaped characters. However, you will need to learn thousands of characters in order to read and understand the language. The fewer the characters that are necessary to represent something, the more characters will be needed in the language, and the more complex each character will need to be in order to disambiguate them!
kasse
How can I write

"Nano is the largest"

with Chinese characters?

Physics news on Phys.org
Babelfish gives me, "納諾最大". Real easy, just four box-shaped characters means "Nano is the largest" in Chinese. Sounds like an easy language to learn.

Not quite. You've got to learn thousands of characters. And they are not very readable either.

kasse said:
Not quite. You've got to learn thousands of characters. And they are not very readable either.

But they are boxed shaped.

大 looks like a human. Humans are large ..so 大 is large or big (my assumption)

I guess most of characters go like that. There is a meaning for each character.

The fewer the characters that are necessary to represent something, the more characters will be needed in the language, and the more complex each character will need to be in order to disambiguate them!

@rootX
You are partially right ;). In fact, most of the elements of our everyday life (say, sun, moon, rivers, etc) are in this form of "It meant what it looks like." But there are 4 different types of ways to form characters, and this is only one of them. And since this is a physics forum and not a chinese one, I'll stop it right here =)
@Flat.
Even as an ethnic chinese guy, sometimes there are words I do not know/ have never seen before (and of course there is no way for me to pronounce it. Yea, unlike English, or any alphabetical language which you can kinda "guess" the pronunciation by looking at the spelling, you pretty much to need know how to pronounce each characters in Chinese). And there are many things one can do with that tiny box!
@Chemisttree
Well, maybe it is. But I have heard that the grammer structure of Chinese is REALLY terrible, so it might be hard to learn the grammer. This I don't really know 0_0
Btw, Nano is the largest, is probably best translated in
"奈米是最大的"
The point of 納諾最大 is that, it does not have verb, and 納諾 is not really a good, authentic translation =D

@ Chemisttree.
Just a few more things. Actually, technically speaking, 納諾最大 is understandable. So I guess it is "legal" to kinda take away the verb (which wouldn't make sense grammatically).
And one more fact which illustrates the poor structure/ ambiguity of Chinese Structure.
So in English, verbs changes "form" according to time. ie, future tense, past tense, etc.
However, in Chinese, they all look the same. That is to say, without any extra indication in the same sentence, there was no way to tell when the event happens (it could be in the future as well as the past).

rootX said:
大 looks like a human. Humans are large ..so 大 is large or big (my assumption)

I guess most of characters go like that. There is a meaning for each character.
It is a stylized image of a person standing with arms stretched out as in a fish story. Most characters are not constructed in this fashion. The written language is more phonetic than you might expect.

"Nano is the largest" means "奈米是最大的"..

"Nano" means "奈米" in chinese = 10-9 m unit.

What is the most widely spoken language in the world?

The most widely spoken language in the world is Chinese, with over 1.3 billion speakers.

Is Chinese a difficult language to learn?

Chinese can be a challenging language to learn, especially for non-native speakers. It has a complex writing system and tonal pronunciation, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered.

How many characters are in the Chinese writing system?

The Chinese writing system is composed of over 50,000 characters, although only about 20,000 are commonly used. A person with a basic education in Chinese may know around 8,000 characters.

Is there more than one type of Chinese language?

Yes, there are several dialects of Chinese, including Mandarin, Cantonese, and Wu. Mandarin is the most widely spoken and official language in China, while Cantonese is mainly spoken in Hong Kong and Macau.

Can anyone learn to write Chinese?

Yes, anyone can learn to write Chinese with enough dedication and practice. It may take longer for non-native speakers, but with proper instruction and study, it is possible to become proficient in writing Chinese characters.