Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anything is possible

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    we know that anything is possible and there is a chance that a being with complete power exists, but isnt the idea of complete power against itself (god cannot creat a stone...)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2
    We don't know that anything is possible. We don't know that a square can be a round, or that up can be down, or that true can be false, or that absolute power can create something more powerful than itself. We apparently know that anything is NOT possible.
  4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    any thing is possible is only to certain limits.
    because you cant predict the future that going to happen the next moment.........
  5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    there is no god ... spiritual skeleton ... maybe
  6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    first we don't 'know' that anything is possible. in fact the only thing we can know as a fact is that we as individuals exist (i think therefore i am). we perceive the universe acting in order and assume that it will continue to do so (drop a ball and see if it goes up). thats why all of our math and sciences work.

second the idea that 'god' is all powerful but ever he can't make something more powerful them himself is what makes people think that god may not exist. there are many other examples.

i'm not sure if you are talking about God and his powers or the facts of what we 'know'
  7. Feb 28, 2008 #6
    Maybe something is just tricking us into thinking that we're thinking, and we're really not. Did you ever think of that?
  8. Feb 28, 2008 #7
    if you can think that something is 'out there' tricking us into thinking that were thinking there there is something to trick. you can't trick something that doesn't think. so ever if there is an evil demon tricking us in to thinking the fact that we can be tricked is proof that we had the ability to think before that.
  9. Mar 6, 2008 #8
    WTF (f as in frick!!)

Yeah, wanna run that by an atheist? By saying "god cannot creat a stone..." you are assuming the concept of a 'god' exists.

Anything is NOT possible.. If anything were possible, I'd be able to fly, run 100,000 mph, and crap out of my hands. You'd be able to do it too...

Sure, a hell of a lot of things are possible but to say anything is possible i think is a careless and ignorant statement.. Of course you could counter by saying the same about my statement of Anything is NOT possible, but more often than not things that deny something are less ignorant than things that assume things.

I would use religion as an example, but I've talked about religion too much for today, probably enough for me to avoid using it for the next couple years or so. o_O

ZOMG!! I just crapped out of my hands onto my keyboard!!!
    lol Im just kidding--sorry i'm gonna stop typing because i just took a rocket shot and feel hyperasf-rick
  10. Mar 7, 2008 #9
    you have the answer to your own question embedded in your initial set of propositions. The completeness theorem, will implicate a solution such that p4 -> p1&p3 ->p1. The only difficulty I see is the superposition of both states at the same time!
  11. Mar 7, 2008 #10
    Tricked who exactly into thinking that? :wink:
  12. Mar 10, 2008 #11
    I think he is saying "us" as in us as a society, and tricked "us" as in him. He's probably second guessing his existence right about now. lol
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  13. Mar 10, 2008 #12
    Yes, it's self contradictory. He CANNOT make a stone so heavy he can't lift it. Since there is something he can't do, he's not omnipotent. God as described in the bible is omnipotent. Omnipotence creates contradictions and cannot exist, therefore God cannot exist as described.
  14. Mar 12, 2008 #13
    The idea that "anything is possible" does not imply that everything exists. Technically it can be possible for a circle to be a square, even if such a thing does not exist.

Of course, if you go down that road then all logic is out the window and you will not be able to come to any conclusion about anything. So it is not a really meaningful hypothesis. I guess that is why those who choose to believe it call it faith.

15. Mar 12, 2008 #14
    The flaw here is in anthropomorphizing, a category error, its not really a problem with omnipotence.

God could make himself physically weak, then create a heavy rock. Then make himself stronger, then lift it. He is still omnipotent, because he can always change his strength. It is always within his 'power' to lift the rock, even if he can't lift it with his current physical strength. The rock could be minuscule.
  16. Mar 12, 2008 #15
    Since circle and square are true by definition, it is of course possible for one to simply rename a square. However, the two definitions are conflicting. The are not the same.

That phrase is generally used to refer to the fact that individual knowledge is limited.
    It basically means: I don't know what is possible.
    People don't generally use it to mean that everything can exist.

Its the difference between epistemology(knowledge) and ontology(things).
  17. Mar 12, 2008 #16
    Good point, you are correct, however in that case he is renouncing his omnipotence and then my observation no longer applies. Mine only applies to currently omnipotent beings who have not limited themselves. He would have to limit himself in order to do what you say. Then he is potentially omnipotent but not omnipotent.

In any case, if he was omnipotent, he could make himself omniscient, which would mean that he has no free will. However the bible shows him as having free will.
  18. Mar 12, 2008 #17
    This is hocus pocus. No matter what steps he goes through, he is still able to lift the rock and thus unable to create one he cannot lift. If he has to lift weights or walk over to the stone first or "make himself stronger", it doesn't matter: He eventually lifts the stone which means the first task failed.
  19. Mar 12, 2008 #18
    Exactly. The only way he can't lift it is if he chooses not to be able to. But that's not what the question is about. It's about whether some external factor not related to his decision-making process can prevent him from doing something. The weight alone would not prevent him from lifting it.

All I have to do is rephrase the question and you are stuck. "Can God create a rock so heavy he cannot lift it without limiting his omnipotence?"
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  20. Mar 12, 2008 #19
    Let me put it this way.
    Physical strength and overall ability are not equivalent.
    The question presupposes an anthropomorphic existence for a being that is clearly not 'limited' by one.
    I don't see why Omniscience would imply a lack of free will.
  21. Mar 12, 2008 #20
    In what other way can you exist and still have an impact on the universe?

If he is omniscient, he knows what he will think or do in the future. He can't choose to do other than what he forsees himself doing. He can't change his mind about anything. That means no free will. If he could change his mind, then he would be wrong when he thought he knew what he would do. If he's wrong then he must not be omniscient. You are actually in a tighter spot here because he can't limit his omniscience in order to change his mind unless he already knows he will. If he doesn't forsee himself limiting his omniscience, then he can never have free will.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?