Is a Career in Physics Worth the Risk?

In summary, there may be negative opinions about careers in physics, but it is not as bad as some people make it out to be. If you have a passion for high energy physics and are currently studying it as an undergraduate, there is no need to change fields. It is important to remember that no job is perfect and every career has its challenges. If you are truly passionate about physics, then don't let the negative opinions discourage you from pursuing it as a career.
SuperStringboy
Lot of people are telling negative sides career as a physicist, But it physics really in such a bad position? I had a wish to research on high energy physics(particle) . Now i am undergraduate student student of physics major. Should i change field at graduate study? or take risk?

If i change field which should be good for usa or Canada?

But if you are optimistic about physics then say... I don't need much much money. Just own home own car and a smooth life..

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you've been attacked by those few comments made by nebuqalia in the following thread:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1647403

Don't worry, careers related with physics aren't in a bad condition. You should not change your major because of few discouraging comments.

Last edited:
Yes you are right. Not only nebuqlia.. also other people..I am just reading ... i did not post anything there..here... thaks for encouraging ...

The reason you only see negatives is because a lot of us already decided on becoming physicists and know the good to expect: challenging, but fun, job, furthering mankind's knowledge, prestige of having a Ph.D., whatever. All of that stuff is cool. We just need a reality check that it's not all bubble gum and roses.

However, if you think about it, no job is, so if you can't imagine doing anything other than physics, what's the point of thinking about the negatives? You'll deal with them, just like everybody else does.

1. What is the importance of physics in our daily lives?

Physics is the study of matter and energy and how they interact with each other. It helps us understand the fundamental principles of the universe and how things work. Many of the technologies we use in our daily lives, such as electricity, computers, and smartphones, are based on principles of physics. Understanding physics can also help us make informed decisions about energy usage and environmental issues.

2. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. For example, in medical imaging, physics principles are used to create images of the human body, allowing doctors to diagnose and treat illnesses. In engineering, physics is used to design and build structures, machines, and vehicles. In technology, physics is used to create and improve devices such as solar panels, GPS systems, and lasers.

3. How does physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Physics helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. By studying topics such as gravity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, we can gain insights into the workings of the cosmos. Physics also helps us explore and discover new phenomena and objects in the universe, such as black holes and dark matter.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only for geniuses or extremely intelligent individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the principles of physics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only useful for theoretical or academic purposes. In fact, physics has numerous practical applications that impact our daily lives.

5. How can we use physics to solve real-world problems?

Physics helps us understand the world around us and provides us with the tools and knowledge to solve real-world problems. By using the scientific method and applying physics principles, we can analyze and solve complex issues related to energy, climate change, transportation, and many other areas. Additionally, many modern technologies and innovations are rooted in physics, showing its potential to address real-world challenges.