Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Anyway to do infnite series with a TI-89?

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    I have A LOT of problems in work sheets to do before my midterm on friday for calculus. The thing is, I don't have the solutions but I do have a TI-89 and it helped with checking my answers for integrals.

My question is, how do I (or even can I?) work with infinite/power (see if they converge, diverge, etc..) series with a TI-89? I only have the manual as a .pdf file and I can't find anything in it but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something...

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2
    Your 89 has a sum function in f3: Calc / 4: Sum and an infinity button at Diamond / infinity (the catalog button). Why don't you take them out for a test drive?

The sum function takes arguments function, variable, lower limit, upper limit. For instance, [itex] \Sigma(1/x^2,x,1,\infty)[/itex] returns [itex] \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex].

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3
    heh I just tried some geometric series and it works. Sweet. :biggrin:

Thanks man!
  5. Nov 11, 2004 #4
    hmm ok how about a power series (conv. interval..)? When I try it it just returns what I entered... :confused:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  6. Nov 11, 2004 #5
    so... anybody wants to help?

I really need this. :cry:

Can the TI-89 even do power series and taylor polynomials?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?