1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Anyway to do infnite series with a TI-89?

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    I have A LOT of problems in work sheets to do before my midterm on friday for calculus. The thing is, I don't have the solutions but I do have a TI-89 and it helped with checking my answers for integrals.

My question is, how do I (or even can I?) work with infinite/power (see if they converge, diverge, etc..) series with a TI-89? I only have the manual as a .pdf file and I can't find anything in it but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something...

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2
    Your 89 has a sum function in f3: Calc / 4: Sum and an infinity button at Diamond / infinity (the catalog button). Why don't you take them out for a test drive?

The sum function takes arguments function, variable, lower limit, upper limit. For instance, [itex] \Sigma(1/x^2,x,1,\infty)[/itex] returns [itex] \frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex].

--J

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3
    heh I just tried some geometric series and it works. Sweet. :biggrin:

Thanks man!

5. Nov 11, 2004 #4
    hmm ok how about a power series (conv. interval..)? When I try it it just returns what I entered... :confused:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  6. Nov 11, 2004 #5
    so... anybody wants to help?

I really need this. :cry:

Can the TI-89 even do power series and taylor polynomials?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?