1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AOL dialer

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    I've heard of a program that comes with aol called aol dialer or something like that. From what I hear, this program comes with aol and allows you to dial up without using aols ****ty software.
    I want to use the dialer to get internet connectivity and use opera as a browser (which I am using right now with aol running in the background). I can't find the program for the dialer and am curious what it's called exactly.
    anyone know?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

When I was forced into AO-Hell because my wife liked it, I would simply start AOL and get access. Once you have a connection, start up your other browser and just minimize AOL. Maybe that's not what you were looking for though.

4. Dec 13, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Windows comes with a phone dialer. Why do you have AOL in the first place? Do you like paying more for the same stuff?

5. Dec 13, 2005 #4
    I absolutely hate AOL. I currently minimize AOL on connection then use Opera as a browser. I just don't want to run aol's software at all other than for the connection to a dial up server. If I had my way, it'd be cable internet, but broadband won't be available in my area for a couple more years. It's my pc illiterate parents choice to have aol and I haven't found much better in the way of dial up. Just slightly better and a bit cheaper (which is still worth the switch).

6. Dec 13, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

The internet is the internet. AOL is probably charging you more than $20 a month when you could be paying $10 or less for the same thing. Here is a place where you can get 56k for only $6.50 a month:

http://www.650dialup.com/

7. Dec 13, 2005 #6
    thank you dduardo. I've looked over the site and it looks good. I'm going to show my parents and see if they like it.

8. Dec 16, 2005 #7
    if you don't have cable/dsl available get earthlink

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?