AOL screws up

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
Rach3

Main Question or Discussion Point

Interesting how private information always gets into accidents nowadays.
AOL removed a list of the Web search inquiries of 658,000 unnamed users from a public Web site over the weekend, after bloggers complained that the information was so detailed and personal that it could compromise the users’ privacy.

AOL said the publication of the data was a violation of internal policies and issued a strongly worded apology.

“This was a screw-up, and we’re angry and upset about it,” a statement from the company said. “It was a mistake, and we apologize.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/08/b...&en=f8ca23c604bf5d54&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Quite right. I don't want the general public to know tidbits like that I googled for the town of "Liberal, Kansas". That kind of thing is privileged to myself alone, and Google, and the good folks over at the shadow agency.

Answers and Replies

Rach3
By the way, does anyone still remember what AOL is? It was the really bad dialup ISP from back in the 90's, they survivied by mailing billions of 'free' cd's in the post. They were mainly used as coasters for beverages.

JamesU
Gold Member
AOL screws up
What a surprise :rolleyes:

what about the favourite expansion of A-O-L:

a'hole on line, anyone?