Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AOM lenses

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1

cks

In order to increase the diffraction efficiency of the AOM, we need to reduce the beam size of the laser. According to the manual of my AOM, it needs to have the beam size of 220um to get more than 90% diffraction efficiency.

So, I decided to do so by putting a lens in front of it and another one at the back of AOM.

However, I'm not sure what is the focal length I should use for both the lenses?

I remember my professor used to tell me that longer focal length is better, but I forgot why is it the case? Is 50mm considered ok?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Long focal length singlets generally suffer from less aberration, that's the reason for the rule of thumb.

It's been a while since I used an AOD/AOM, but I was never able to get more than about 60% diffraction efficiency. Polarization control of the beam can help, also. And IIRC, I needed to nearly fill the aperture of the AOD to maximize the diffraction efficiency, not minimize the beam size- the spatial density grating within the crystal worked best when the beam size covered many periods.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3

cks

The aperture of the AOM is too small for my laser beam spot size, that was one of the reasons why I needed to focus the laser. The AOM is only able to pass through 87% of laser beam while it's not on. From the manual, it should have more than 95% transmission.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?