Exploring the Distribution of Populations in Eurasia and North America

In summary, the map shows the distribution of several populations on the continents of Eurasia and North America, derived from a common ancestral species. The numbers in millions of years refer to the earliest fossil evidence found within the bounded area, with smaller numbers indicating a younger age. The oldest population is found in region Q, and the two most closely related populations are S and T. The data also suggest that the area occupied by the original species increased and then decreased.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Questions 109-111 refer to the map below of the distribution of several populations on the continents of Eurasia and North America. These populations were derived from a common ancestral species. The area enclosed by a given dotted line represents the distribution of the population and the numbers in millions of years refer to the earliest fossils evidence found within the bounded area. Present populations are found only in the shaded areas.

h t t p : / / i m g 7 0 4 . i m a g e s h a c k . u s / i m g 7 0 4 / 9 0 8 0 / 5 9 4 3 3 5 1 2 . p n g

109. The oldest existing population is found at
(A) Q
(B) R
(C) S
(D) T
(E) U

For this question I am unsure as to what exact it means by "...and the numbers in millions of years refer to the earliest fossil evidence found within the bounded area". Does this mean that the smaller numbers are younger or older. The way I read this section the smaller numbers are younger. Is this correct I don't know. This is more have an issue with English, which I seem to have a hard time understanding what exactly that section meant. If the smaller numbers are older then the answer would be T.

Answer is either Q or T I can't tell which...

110. The two existing populations that are apparently the most closely related are
(A) Q and R
(B) Q and S
(C) Q and T
(D) R and U
(E) S and T

I chose E becasue S and T are the only sections that are right next to each other and only differ in value from millions of years by 5. I feel very confident about this answer but just want to make sure.

111. The data indicate which of the following about the area occupied by the original species?
(A) It increased steadily.
(B) It decreased steadily.
(C) It increased and then decreased.
(D) It decreased and then increased.
(E) it remained relatively stable.

This one was sort of tricky. I want to say C becasue it looks like the section with 30 in it is huge compared to the values with 50 and 5 which lead me to believe that it increased and then decreased...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See above thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
109. (A) Region Q contains the oldest fossil recorded for the species (50million years).
110. (E) S and T diverged within the shortest period of time (5million years)
111. (C) A key note in the introduction to the question: Present populations are found only in the shaded areas. If we look at the area the population covers at 30million years for instance, and compare it to present day, we see that today there is less than there was 30million years ago. Now, if we compare 50million years to 30million years we see that the population was less when the species was 50million years old than it was at 30million. Therefore, the population increased then decreased *(C).

1. What is the purpose of exploring the distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America?

The purpose of exploring the distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America is to gain a better understanding of how human populations are distributed across these two continents. This includes examining factors such as historical migration patterns, cultural influences, and environmental factors that have shaped the distribution of populations.

2. What methods are used to study the distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America?

There are a variety of methods used to study the distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America, including statistical analysis, geographic information systems (GIS), and population mapping. Researchers also use historical records, archaeological evidence, and genetic studies to better understand population distribution.

3. How has population distribution in Eurasia and North America changed over time?

The distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America has changed significantly over time due to various factors such as migration, colonization, and industrialization. For example, the arrival of Europeans in North America led to significant changes in the distribution of indigenous populations. Additionally, natural disasters, wars, and political changes have also affected population distribution.

4. What are the main factors that influence population distribution in Eurasia and North America?

Some of the main factors that influence population distribution in Eurasia and North America include geography, climate, availability of resources, economic opportunities, political stability, and cultural influences. These factors can vary greatly across different regions, leading to diverse patterns of population distribution.

5. How does the distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America impact society and culture?

The distribution of populations in Eurasia and North America has a significant impact on society and culture. It can shape cultural identities, influence political systems, and affect economic development. Additionally, the distribution of populations can also impact social issues such as access to resources, inequality, and migration patterns.