AP Biology Project: Science Experiments for Kids' Summer Program

In summary, my biology teacher has assigned us a post-AP project that must involve service to the community and science in some way. My group has decided to do a "science camp" over the summer with disadvantaged elementary and middle school children. We will attend summer programs for these kids and give science presentations and allow them to do some simple experiments. Do any of you have any basic, inexpensive ideas for a science experiment that these kids probably haven't seen before?
max111
My biology teacher has assigned us a post-AP project that must involve service to the community and science in some way. My group has decided to do a "science camp" over the summer with disadvantaged elementary and middle school children. We will attend summer programs for these kids and give science presentations and allow them to do some simple experiments. Do any of you have any basic, inexpensive ideas for a science experiment that these kids probably haven't seen before? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Between the four of us we have about $100 saved up. However, we might be able to raise more money.

Last edited:
Do you present to them in smaller age groups, or all of them at once? It's easier to come up with ideas for kids in just the younger grades or just middle school than topics that will interest them for all those ages. The younger kids will likely be awed by almost anything you do, but the older kids may have seen those simpler demos before (though, maybe not...if they are disadvantaged students, the implication may be that they have had limited exposure to good science education).

Any students who are interested from the program (it's like a shelter for abused kids) will be welcome.

There are some cool demonstrations you can do such as making thermite but you wouldn't want the kids to try that by themselves. There's also things like non-Newtonian fluids (technically only need corn starch), mentos and diet coke. If you have access to liquid nitrogen you can do some easy demonstrations with electricity (in fact there are a ton of cool demonstrations you can do if you have access to basic scientific electrical equipment (perhaps from your school lab) like and output generator). But those are all demonstrations (and related to physics). As for 'experiments' that they could do that only need cheap materials I'd have to think. Unfortunately if you're looking for bio experiments you're A) probably on the wrong forum and B) I don't know if there really are any that are easy, cheap and that little kids will get a kick out of. To do that you generally want to make something explode, go really fast, or do something seemingly 'magical'.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "AP Biology Project: Science Experiments for Kids' Summer Program"?

The purpose of this program is to introduce children to the basics of biology through hands-on science experiments. It aims to foster a love for science and curiosity about the natural world while also developing critical thinking and experimental skills.

2. Who can participate in this summer program?

This program is open to children in grades 3-6 who have an interest in biology and science. No prior knowledge or experience is required, and all children are welcome to participate.

3. What types of experiments will be conducted in this program?

The experiments conducted in this program will cover a variety of topics in biology, such as genetics, ecology, and physiology. They will be age-appropriate and hands-on, allowing children to actively engage in the scientific process.

4. Will there be any outdoor activities in this program?

Yes, there will be outdoor activities as part of this program. These activities will include nature walks, observing and collecting samples from the local ecosystem, and conducting experiments outdoors.

5. What are the benefits of participating in this summer program?

Participating in this program can provide numerous benefits for children, including developing an interest in science and biology, improving critical thinking and problem-solving skills, fostering a love for learning, and building teamwork and communication skills through group experiments and activities.