AP Calc: Find y(0) When xe^y + ycosx = 1

• Thread starter Bionerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap
In summary, the problem asks to find y(0) given the function xe^y + ycosx = 1. To solve for y(0), we can substitute x=0 into the equation and solve for y. The next parts of the problem ask for y'(0) and y''(0), which can be found by taking the derivative of the original equation and plugging in x=0 and y=1. The results are y'(0)=-e and y''(0)=2e^2+1.
Bionerd

Homework Statement

If xe^y + ycosx = 1 defines y as a function of x, find y(0)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is getting it into y= form. Since there is an e^y, I thought about taking a natural log, but that doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't asked to solve for y in general. When x= 0, you have 0*e^y+ y cos(0)= 1. Solve that for y.

Thank you! That makes so much more sense. I just had a big Duh! moment right now. :blushing:

Okay, so I have two more parts to the problem: find y'(0) and y''(0)

For y'(0), I took the derivative and got the formula y'= (e^y - ysinx)/(-xe^y - cosx) I plugged in zero for x and 1 for y, and got e as the answer. I'm not sure that this is correct.

For y''(0), I painstakingly took the derivative again and plugged in zero and 1 as before and got 1, which our math teacher said was answer we should definitely not get. I'm not sure my methods are currect. Can someone help me?

Last edited:
When I did it I got [tex] \frac{dy}{dx}(0) = -e [/tex] and [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} (0) = 2e^2+1 [/tex]

Edit: You're equation for y' is correct, so you should've gotten -e as well

Last edited:

What is the equation for "AP Calc: Find y(0) When xe^y + ycosx = 1"?

The equation is xe^y + ycosx = 1, where x is a constant and y is a function of x.

What is the purpose of finding y(0) in this equation?

Finding y(0) allows us to determine the value of the function y when x is equal to 0. This can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its graph.

How do you solve for y(0) in this equation?

To solve for y(0), we can plug in x=0 and solve for y. This will give us the value of the function at x=0.

What are the steps to solving for y(0) in this equation?

The steps to solving for y(0) are:

1. Plug in x=0 into the equation.
  2. Solve for y using algebraic manipulation.
  3. The resulting value of y is the value of y(0).

Can this equation be solved for y(0) using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved for y(0) using a graphing calculator or a scientific calculator with the ability to solve equations. Simply plug in the equation and use the calculator to solve for y when x=0.