1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Calc. question

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If xe^y + ycosx = 1 defines y as a function of x, find y(0)

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is getting it into y= form. Since there is an e^y, I thought about taking a natural log, but that doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You aren't asked to solve for y in general. When x= 0, you have 0*e^y+ y cos(0)= 1. Solve that for y.
  4. Nov 22, 2007 #3
    Thank you! That makes so much more sense. I just had a big Duh! moment right now. :blushing:
  5. Nov 22, 2007 #4
    Okay, so I have two more parts to the problem: find y'(0) and y''(0)

For y'(0), I took the derivative and got the formula y'= (e^y - ysinx)/(-xe^y - cosx) I plugged in zero for x and 1 for y, and got e as the answer. I'm not sure that this is correct.

For y''(0), I painstakingly took the derivative again and plugged in zero and 1 as before and got 1, which our math teacher said was answer we should definitely not get. I'm not sure my methods are currect. Can someone help me?
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  6. Nov 23, 2007 #5
    When I did it I got [tex] \frac{dy}{dx}(0) = -e [/tex] and [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} (0) = 2e^2+1 [/tex]

Edit: You're equation for y' is correct, so you should've gotten -e as well
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?