1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Calculus AB probelm

1. Jan 2, 2006 #1
    If dy/dx = 2y^2 and if y=-1 when x=1
    then when x=2, y=?

I have no idea how to even start this probelm, i never seen this on any previous practice tests
    i thought about using the equation y+1 = dy/dx (x-1), but thats probaly wrong and not going to help...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2006 #2
    Rewrite the equation as dy over y^2 equals 2dx integrate both sides then solve for the constant of integration by plugging in the initial condition and then you can find y when x = 2.
  4. Jan 2, 2006 #3
    Here's a general rule for tackling these sorts of problems:

Suppose you have an equation of the form
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = f(y) g(x)[/tex]

You can treat the differentials [itex]dy[/itex] and [itex]dx[/itex] as if they were any other variable, so you can bring [itex]f(y)[/itex] and [itex]dy[/itex] on the same side of the equation and move everything else over to the other side: (I forget the exact proof of this, it involves the definition of the differential and chain rule I believe):
    [tex]\frac{dy}{f(y)} = g(x) dx[/tex]

Then you can integrate both sides:
    [tex]\int \frac{dy}{f(y)} = \int g(x) dx[/tex]

And you'll get an expression which you should be able to solve for [itex]y(x)[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and an arbitrary constant [itex]C[/itex]. You can then use your boundary conditions to determine what [itex]C[/itex] should be.
  5. Jan 2, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

It's seperable (as dicerandom said)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2y^2\Rightarrow\int\frac{dy}{y^2}=\int 2dx\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{y}=2x+C[/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  6. Jan 2, 2006 #5
    ahh...i didnt know you can work both sides like that, thank you all very much :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?