Do I Need to Take Calculus II at MIT if I Get a 5 on AP Calculus BC?

In summary, a 5 on AP Calculus BC does not necessarily mean you have a full understanding of calculus and may not be sufficient for certain majors at MIT. It is recommended to take the Calculus with Theory courses (18.014 and 18.024) to ensure a solid understanding of the subject. AP level calculus may be enough for certain fields, but it may lack the depth and proof-based approach of college-level courses.
Nerd10
If I get a 5 on AP Calculus BC, do I still have to take Calculus II at MIT? Or I don't have to take it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A Google search on "MIT advanced placement" led me (after a couple of clicks) to this page:

http://web.mit.edu/firstyear/2017/subjects/incomingcredit/ap.html#math

Math 18.01 appears to be equivalent to most other schools' Calculus I + II, as the next course is 18.02, multivariable calculus.

Thank you.

Nerd10 said:
If I get a 5 on AP Calculus BC, do I still have to take Calculus II at MIT? Or I don't have to take it?

If you're planning on majoring in math then a 5 on Calc BC shows nothing about whether you have learned calculus. You would want to take 18.014 and 18.024 at MIT, Calculus with Theory. If you can understand Apostol or Spivak and do the problems, then you don't need MIT's calculus classes.

AP level understanding is good enough if you're going to be an economist or a chemist, where you don't have to really understand the math, but just be able to use it as a tool.

The basic problem with AP level high school calculus is that it skips the proofs and real mathematical thinking and just teaches you a bunch of techniques. Sometimes you get better, but as it's not necessary for the AP test that takes an exceptional teacher.

I cannot make a definitive statement about the specific requirements for taking Calculus II at MIT. However, in general, earning a 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam indicates a strong understanding and mastery of the material covered in Calculus II. Therefore, it is possible that you may be able to waive the requirement for taking Calculus II at MIT. However, it is ultimately up to the university's policies and individual department requirements. I recommend checking with your academic advisor or the department to determine if your AP score will exempt you from taking Calculus II at MIT.

1. Do I really need to take Calculus II at MIT if I get a 5 on AP Calculus BC?

It depends on your major and your future academic and career goals. Calculus II is a required course for many STEM majors at MIT, so if you plan on pursuing a degree in a field such as engineering or mathematics, it may be necessary to take the course regardless of your AP score.

2. Will my AP Calculus BC credit count towards fulfilling the Calculus II requirement at MIT?

Yes, if you received a 5 on the AP exam, you will receive credit for Calculus II at MIT. However, you should check with your academic advisor to confirm that the credit will count towards your specific major requirements.

3. Can I skip Calculus II and move on to higher level math courses with my AP Calculus BC credit?

Depending on your major and academic plans, it may be possible to skip Calculus II and move on to higher level math courses. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you have the necessary foundation and understanding to succeed in more advanced math courses.

4. Will taking Calculus II at MIT be significantly different from AP Calculus BC?

Yes, the level of rigor and depth of material covered in Calculus II at MIT is typically greater than that of AP Calculus BC. You will also have the opportunity to learn from world-renowned professors and engage in challenging problem-solving with your peers.

5. Can I retake Calculus II at MIT if I feel I did not receive a strong enough foundation in AP Calculus BC?

Yes, you are able to retake any course at MIT if you feel it is necessary for your academic success. However, it is important to note that retaking courses may impact your graduation timeline and course load, so it is best to discuss your options with your academic advisor before making a decision.