AP Calculus Help: Solving y^2=2+xy

In summary, the first step in solving y^2=2+xy is to rearrange the equation into a quadratic form. Yes, you can solve this equation by factoring, but if it cannot be easily factored, you will need to use the quadratic formula. You can determine which method to use by trying to factor the equation or by seeing if the quadratic formula is the only way to get the solution. There are two possible solutions to y^2=2+xy, which can be found by using the quadratic formula or factoring. You can also use a calculator to solve this equation, but it is important to understand the steps involved and how to properly input the equation into your calculator.
gonzalo12345
AP Calculus help!

Homework Statement

consider y^2=2+xy

a. show that dy/dx = y/2y-x
b. find all pints (x,y) on the curve where the line tangent to the curve has slope 1/2
c. show that there are no points (x,y) on the curve where the line tangent to the curve is horizontal
d. Let x and y be functions of time t that are related by the equation y^2=2+xy. At time t=5, the value of y is 3 and dy/dt=6. Find the value of dx/dt at time t=5.

Homework Equations

chain rule, implicit differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

for this did part a, but I am really confused for b, c and dThanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Parts B and C:
some hints:
How would you interpret the derivative of a function at a point geometrically?
Notice also that in part a you have shown dy/dx to be a function of x and y. How can you relate this function to the geometrical interpretation of the derivative?

gonzalo12345 said:

Homework Statement

consider y^2=2+xy

a. show that dy/dx = y/2y-x
b. find all pints (x,y) on the curve where the line tangent to the curve has slope 1/2

Set dy/dx = 1/2 . What do you find?

c. show that there are no points (x,y) on the curve where the line tangent to the curve is horizontal

Set dy/dx = 0. What do you find? (Do you find anything?)

d. Let x and y be functions of time t that are related by the equation y^2=2+xy. At time t=5, the value of y is 3 and dy/dt=6. Find the value of dx/dt at time t=5.

This looks like a job for the Chain Rule! Differentiate the equation for the curve with respect to the parameter t. I believe you otherwise have all the information you need to answer the question.

Ok so check me if I am wrong:

for part b:

y/(2y-x) = 1/2
2y-2y= x
0 =x so the points would be (0, ± √2)

for part c:
y/(2y-x) = 0
y = 0

then 0 = 2 + x0
0 = 2 so it doesn't exist, therefore there is no point where the tangent is horizontal.

for d:

2y dy/dt = 0 + y.dx/dt + x.dy/dx
36 = 3.dx/dt + 16x
36 = 6x+3dx/dt x= 22/3

36 = 14 + 3dx/dt

22/3 = dx/dt

gonzalo12345 said:
Ok so check me if I am wrong:

for part b:

y/(2y-x) = 1/2
2y-2y= x
0 =x so the points would be (0, ± ?2)

for part c:
y/(2y-x) = 0
y = 0

then 0 = 2 + x0
0 = 2 so it doesn't exist, therefore there is no point where the tangent is horizontal.

for d:

2y dy/dt = 0 + y.dx/dt + x.dy/dx
36 = 3.dx/dt + 16x
36 = 6x+3dx/dt ; x= 22/3

36 = 14 + 3dx/dt

22/3 = dx/dt

I concur. :-)

1. What is the first step in solving y^2=2+xy?

The first step in solving this equation is to rearrange it into a quadratic form, by bringing all the terms to one side and setting it equal to zero. This will make it easier to apply the quadratic formula or factor the equation.

2. Can I solve y^2=2+xy by factoring?

Yes, you can solve this equation by factoring. However, it may not always be the most efficient method and you may need to use the quadratic formula if the equation cannot be easily factored.

3. How do I know if I need to use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve y^2=2+xy?

If the equation is easily factorable, then that may be the best method to use. However, if the equation cannot be factored, then you will need to use the quadratic formula. You can determine this by trying to factor the equation and seeing if it simplifies, or if the quadratic formula is the only way to get the solution.

4. What are the possible solutions to y^2=2+xy?

There are two possible solutions to this equation, as it is a quadratic equation. These solutions can be found by using the quadratic formula or by factoring the equation and solving for the variable.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve y^2=2+xy?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving it by hand, as well as how to properly input the equation into your calculator. Additionally, some calculators may not be able to handle complex solutions, so it is important to check your answer manually as well.