Solve Calculus Problem: Find a & b from f(x) and Tangent Line at (a,b)

In summary: However, since there is only 1 real root, that means that a and b must be equal. So your answer is (2,0).
cdhotfire
This somehow seems easy, but I cannot get the jist of it.

f(x) = x^3 - x^2 - 4x + 4

The point (a,b) is on the graph of f and the line tangent to the graph at (a,b) passes through the point (0,-8) which is not on the graph of f. Find the values of a and b.

okay so, I've spent about an hour just on this part, this problem had 3 parts.

so i though, maybe, set the original with as and bs, so:

b= a^3 - a ^2 - 4a + 4

then maybe take the derivative

b'= 3a^2 - 2a - 4

so maybe

y-8=b'x

from there on it seems to get pretty nasty, doesn't seem like the type of problem, that should be this nasty.

maybe someone can shed some light on this.:smile:

thanks in advanced.:tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are actually very close. You should be able to expand your last equation and get it in terms of only a and b. Same with the first one. You end up with 2 equations in 2 unknowns (I think). Hint: the point (a,b) is on the graph of each function.

Last edited:
Also, if you haven't already, it really helps to draw a picture. You don't have to actually plot the function, just draw a function, pick a point, draw a tangent to it, etc.

hmmm, so

b = 3a^3 - 2a^2 - 4a - 8
b = a^3 - a^2 - 4a + 4

0=-2a^3 +a^2 +12

yuck, I am sure this wasnt suppose to happen. :(

edit: somehow, i think I am making it harder than it seems, looks like a very simple problem. :\

Last edited:
Can't you solve the last equation for a? I got it just by staring at the equation for a few minutes.

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Can't you solve the last equation for a? Cubics are rarely easy.

a= (-6/a^2) - (1/2)?

i don't know, seems like this question could take up a long, long time. this is supposedly an ap free response question. I am thinking this question, is a little too long, to be on a timed test.

Much easier than that. Just look at the equation and try to imagine what values of a will satisfy the equation. The first one I tried was the right one.:smile:

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Much easier than that. Just look at the equation and try to imagine what values of a will satisfy the equation. The first one I tried was the right one.:smile:

so i put in 2, get 4x^2 + 3x +6, looks like a mr quadradic to me.:grumpy:

edit: roar!, mr quad come out a bad choice.
so only one answer? (2,0)?

Last edited:
[tex]0=-2a^3 +a^2 +12[/tex]

This is the one you are trying to solve for a. I like the choice you made.:smile:

so (2,0) is the only answer?

The question was to find a & b, which you just did. Congratulations!

hotvette said:
The question was to find a & b, which you just did. Congratulations!
http://img.mauj.com/an/b/BowingSmiley.gif
thank you. very much. :)
spent 2 hours on this and its late, time for sleep. thanks again.:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
cdhotfire said:
so (2,0) is the only answer?
Sorry I didn't have a more thoughtful answer (I needed my beauty sleep :biggrin:). Since you wanted (a,b) to satisfy the 2 equations, you could claim that you are done since you found that. But, you are curious (which is good) that there might be more solutions to [itex]0=-2a^3 +a^2 +12[/itex] since it is a cubic. Good point. You have several options. My first choice is to go ahead a plot it (don't think that's against the rules). Sure enough, there is only 1 real root. So, the other 2 must be? Actually, if there were more than 1 real root, that would mean that a line passing through (0,-8) would be tangent to the function at more than 1 point (i.e. multiple a,b combinations). See attached thumnail illustrating the situation.

Attachments

• plot.gif
    plot.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

1. How do I find the values of a and b in a calculus problem?

To find the values of a and b, you will need to use the given information about f(x) and the tangent line at (a,b). First, write out the equation for the tangent line, which is in the form y = mx + b. Then, plug in the values of a and b into this equation. Next, use the given equation for f(x) to set up a system of equations. Finally, solve the system of equations to find the values of a and b.

2. What is the purpose of finding a and b in a calculus problem?

The values of a and b in a calculus problem represent the coordinates of a point on the graph of the function f(x) where the tangent line is touching the curve. These values are important because they help us understand the behavior of the function at that specific point and can be used to find other important information such as the slope and rate of change.

3. How can I check my answers for a and b in a calculus problem?

To check your answers, you can plug the values of a and b into the original equation for f(x) and the equation for the tangent line. If the point (a,b) satisfies both equations, then you have found the correct values for a and b.

4. Can I use any method to find a and b in a calculus problem?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to find the values of a and b in a calculus problem. Some common methods include using the slope-intercept form of the tangent line, using the point-slope form of the tangent line, and using the derivative of the function f(x).

5. What should I do if I am unable to find the values of a and b in a calculus problem?

If you are unable to find the values of a and b, double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations. If you are still having trouble, you may need to seek help from a teacher or tutor who can guide you through the problem step by step.