AP calculus preparation books

In summary, when preparing for the AP calculus test, it is recommended to obtain actual old AP calc tests from the College Board. AP calculus tests are typically easier than college courses, so it is suggested to take the beginning course in the same subject on an honors level. Purchasing preparation books, such as "5 Steps to a 5" or "Arco Master the AP Exam," is not recommended. Instead, it is advised to seek out and use old AP exams for practice. However, if old exams are not available, it is suggested to focus on learning the material in order to achieve a high score on the exam.
needhelpperson
Which ones do you recommend? Please give an explanation as well. Thanx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you just preparing for the AP calculus test? I never took that, but my son did and I imagine the ones for sale at the book store are pretty good. If possible get hold of actual old AP calc tests from the college board or whoever gives the test.

In my experience, AP calculus tests are a bit easier than actual college courses though. So it is often a mistake to bypass a college version of a course you have earned AP credit in.

I advise good students who do well on AP tests to take the beginning course in the same subject but on the honors level. It makes no sense to me for an honors high school student to get AP credit so he can go into a more advanced but non honors course in college.

thanx for your suggestion, but i was really looking for a specific brand of the preparation book. I've just searched for some, and the best 2 are "5 steps to a 5" and the ARCO Master the AP exam. Can anyone tell me which one is better of the two?

Don't waste your time or money on those books. If you search hard enough you can get copies of almost any previous AP exam. My high school AP calc teacher had every single AP exam since about the 40's-50's. or whenever the AP exam started. Trying the old tests are the best practice.

those past old exams are almost impossible to find. So I am resorting to just purchasing those books to help prepare for the actual exam. Any ways, I'm still wondering which book of the two, "5 steps to a 5" or "Arco master the ap exam", is better. Please, if you have any, provide some suggestions. Thanx.

just learn the material. then you can pass any exam. this may sound callous but it is true.

I'm aware of that, but I am not looking for just a pass. I actually want to get a 5 on it. So any help i can find, i guess i should take advantage of it.

What is the purpose of AP calculus preparation books?

AP calculus preparation books are designed to help students prepare for the Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus exam. These books typically contain practice problems, review material, and test-taking strategies to help students achieve a high score on the exam.

What topics are covered in AP calculus preparation books?

AP calculus preparation books cover a wide range of topics, including limits, derivatives, integrals, differential equations, and applications of calculus. They also cover key concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

How can AP calculus preparation books help improve my score on the AP exam?

AP calculus preparation books can help improve your score on the AP exam by providing you with additional practice problems and review material. These books often include tips and strategies for approaching different types of questions, as well as explanations of key concepts. By using these resources, you can strengthen your understanding of calculus and increase your chances of earning a high score on the exam.

What should I look for in a good AP calculus preparation book?

When choosing an AP calculus preparation book, look for a book that is specifically designed for the AP exam and aligns with the current exam format and content. It should also include clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems, and full-length practice exams. Additionally, consider reviews and recommendations from other students or teachers who have used the book.

Is it necessary to use an AP calculus preparation book to do well on the exam?

Using an AP calculus preparation book is not necessary, but it can be a helpful resource for students who want to perform well on the exam. These books provide additional practice and review materials that can supplement classroom learning and help students feel more prepared and confident on exam day.