AP Chem 2007 Free Response

In summary, the question asks for a balanced equation for the reaction between excess nitric acid and solid calcium carbonate. The attempt at a solution included the incomplete equation H+ + CO3 -> H2O + CO2 but the correct equation should also include bicarbonate and show the 2+ charge for the carbonate ion. It is not necessary to include spectator ions on the AP exam.
norrington

Homework Statement

My questions pertain to #4b of the free response.

Question: Excess nitric acid is added to solid calcium carbonate. The question asks to predict a balanced equation for this reaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

what I wrote down was:

H+ + CO3 ----> H2O + CO2

which might be down the right road but isn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about bicarbonate?

Show the calcium as well as nitrate for completeness.

woops

I should have included that the AP exam does not require that you show spectator ions, I realized shortly after posting that my confusion was only coming from not writing in the 2+ charge for the carbonate, so I think that what I have is generally correct.

The equation is not balanced.

1. What is the format of the AP Chem 2007 Free Response section?

The AP Chem 2007 Free Response section consists of 7 questions, with a total of 105 minutes allotted for completion. The questions are a mix of long and short answer, and may require calculations and written explanations.

2. Are calculators allowed during the AP Chem 2007 Free Response section?

Yes, calculators are allowed during the AP Chem 2007 Free Response section. However, only scientific and graphing calculators are permitted. Programmable calculators, smartphones, and other electronic devices are not allowed.

3. Can I use a periodic table during the AP Chem 2007 Free Response section?

Yes, a periodic table will be provided with the AP Chem 2007 exam. This periodic table includes atomic masses rounded to the nearest whole number and the symbols and names of the elements.

4. What topics are covered in the AP Chem 2007 Free Response section?

The AP Chem 2007 Free Response section covers a wide range of topics, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, and electrochemistry. It also includes questions on laboratory experiments and data analysis.

5. How is the AP Chem 2007 Free Response section graded?

The AP Chem 2007 Free Response section is graded by a team of college professors and high school AP Chemistry teachers. Each question is worth a certain number of points, and the total points earned are converted to a scaled score. This scaled score is then used to determine the student's final AP Chemistry exam score.