AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria

In summary: For question 2, you would add a base (like NaOH) to make it less acidic, and then test to see if the solution becomes basic. For question 1, you would add a strong acid (like HCl) to make the solution more acidic, and then test to see if the solution becomes basic.
wonka08

Homework Statement

OK so this is my first time actually posting but I have lurked around. I need help with two of my chemistry problems.

Problem 1

Decide which one(s) of these answer choices are correct.
A buffered solution is one which can be desribed by which of the following:

I. a solution which resists pH
II. may contain a weak acid and its salt
III. contains species which can react with both H+ and OH-

Problem 2

Which of the following salts will form a basic solution in water?
a. KCl
b. Na2SO4
c. CuCl2
d. Na2CO3
e. NH4NO3

Homework Equations

No equations for question 1.

Question 2 wouldn't the products have to have the OH ion or will water autoionize?

The Attempt at a Solution

For problem 1 I already know that answer choices "I and II" are correct. My question is about the third. I don't understand what the statement is saying and whether it is true or not.

For question 2 I thought that what reacts with water will have to have an OH- to become a basic salt.

Thanks to those who can help

Physics news on Phys.org
a buffered solution is a solutions which resists change in pH. So what you have initially say is a weak acid and a weak base. Let's say you add a strong acid like HCl, which has a low pH, and will generally make your solution more acidic. Once you do this, your weak base will react with the strong acid, creating a weak acid and possibly water. So now that strong acid will in a way be converted to a weak acid, only slightly decreasing the pH. For the second one, you basically want to split up the two components of each molecule. It seems that a bunch of them have strong acid components, and a bunch of them have strong base components. You might have to do some log[OH] and log[H] calculuations. So basicaly we know NaOH is a strong base, so chances are that one will create a strong base. we Know HNO3 is a strong acid, so that one will not be basic. and so on.

Imagine solution of acetic buffer. It contains both CH3COO- and CH3COOH. What happens when you add base? What happens when you add acid?

Do you know what is Broensted definition of a base? Do you know how ammonia reacts with water and why its solutions are basic? Can you write reaction equation? Or perhaps you have neard about hydrolysis?

--
methods

1. What is the definition of an acid and a base in AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria?

In AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria, an acid is defined as a substance that donates a proton (H+) to another substance, while a base is a substance that accepts a proton. This definition is based on the Arrhenius theory of acids and bases.

2. How do strong and weak acids differ in AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria?

In AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria, strong acids completely dissociate in water, while weak acids only partially dissociate. This is due to differences in the strength of their bonds and their ability to donate protons.

3. What is the pH scale and how is it related to AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria?

The pH scale is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution. In AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria, the pH scale is used to determine the acidity or basicity of a solution, with a pH of 7 being neutral, below 7 being acidic, and above 7 being basic.

4. How do you calculate the equilibrium constant (Kc) for acid-base reactions in AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria?

The equilibrium constant (Kc) is calculated by taking the concentration of the products raised to the power of their coefficients, divided by the concentration of the reactants raised to the power of their coefficients. This equation can be written as Kc = [C]c[D]d / [A]a[B]b, where [A], [B], [C], and [D] represent the molar concentrations of the reactants and products, and a, b, c, and d represent their coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

5. How does Le Chatelier's Principle apply to AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria?

Le Chatelier's Principle states that if a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in the direction that relieves the stress in order to reach a new equilibrium. In AP Chem Acid and Base Equilibria, this principle can be applied to predict how the equilibrium will shift in response to changes in temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants or products.