1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP chemical equations

1. Oct 17, 2003 #1
    I am reviewing AP chemical equations in class and we have to figure out the products given the reactants. I don't want to post every single question so could someone explain how to these types of questions in general:

potassuium permanganate solution is added to oxalic acid and acidified with a few drops of sulfuric acid

magnesim turnings are added to aqueous ferric chloride

solid zinc hyrdoxide is treated with concentrated sodium solution.

The products in each question are very different so I can't just memorize every single chemical reaction. Maybe there is a website with rules for stuff like this, but I can't find any.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2003 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There might be a better way --- t'ain't been found yet, to my knowledge --- if you haven't the time to "memorize" a few basics, you're going to go through hell learning chemistry.
    There are only seven (6? or 8?) reactions you have to know as a chemist, substitutions, eliminations, and free radicals --- see Jerry March, Advanced Organic Chemistry for the details --- these reactions are not restricted to organic chemistry, but cover anything you'll ever run into. There's a hitch --- you've gotta know some chemistry before any of it will make any sense to you --- you have to have been handed a "recommended" reading list at the beginning of your course --- use it. Failing the reading list, hit the school library and pick one or two of the general chem texts from the pre-AP days and start digging.
  4. Oct 17, 2003 #3
    And to add to that, on the AP exam you'll get a big list of chemical equations, and you'll have to pick out several of them (a dozen, I think) and complete them.

It's not fun. =P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?