Ap chemistry end of the year ideas

In summary, the speaker suggests exploring the field of green chemistry for the project and paper. Some potential topics include biodegradable plastics, solar energy conversion, sustainable agriculture, water purification, and green cleaning products. They also suggest conducting an experiment and including real-world examples in the paper.
Null_

Homework Statement

I get to do a project and paper on anything I want that has to do with chemistry in any way.

Homework Equations

any

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought about doing it on electromagnetism, but I'm not sure where I want to go with it. I thought about doing the Michelson experiment to test the speed of light...but I'm not sure if I really want to do that. I am very interested in quantum mechanics, but I have only taken calculus I so I don't know much of the math. I also am interested in fusion and plasma...

Any ideas on what I could do? I have to write an 8 page paper and perform an experiment. I don't want to do something boring, and I'm willing (actually want) to put a lot of work into this. I have a little less than a month to complete this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! I would suggest looking into the field of green chemistry. Green chemistry is all about developing and using chemical processes and products that are environmentally friendly and sustainable. There are many interesting topics within green chemistry that you could explore, such as:

1. Biodegradable plastics: Investigate the use of biodegradable plastics as an alternative to traditional plastics, which can take hundreds of years to decompose.

2. Solar energy conversion: Explore the use of solar energy to power chemical reactions and produce clean, renewable energy.

3. Sustainable agriculture: Research ways in which chemistry can be used to improve agricultural practices and create more sustainable food production methods.

4. Water purification: Investigate the use of chemical processes to purify contaminated water and make it safe for human consumption.

5. Green cleaning products: Look into the development and use of environmentally friendly cleaning products that are free from harmful chemicals.

For your experiment, you could try making your own biodegradable plastic or testing the effectiveness of a green cleaning product compared to a traditional one. There are also many interesting case studies and examples of real-world applications of green chemistry that you could include in your paper.

I hope this helps give you some ideas for your project. Good luck!

What are some fun and creative end-of-the-year ideas for AP Chemistry?

1. Host a chemistry-themed scavenger hunt where students have to find and identify different chemical compounds or elements around the school or in the community.

2. Have a chemistry "escape room" where students must solve puzzles and complete experiments to "escape" the room.

3. Organize a chemistry-themed movie night where students can watch and discuss movies related to chemistry, such as "Breaking Bad" or "The Martian".

4. Host a chemistry fair where students can showcase their own experiments and projects to the school community.

5. Plan a chemistry field trip to a local laboratory or industry to see how chemistry is applied in the real world.