1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity AP French vs Chapter in Morin

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    I'm planning to do Morins mechanics book either way, so I'd like to know if I'll be missing out on anything if I do not do the book by ap french.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2
    Have you had an introductory mechanics course before? Or would Morin be your first exposure?

I haven't worked through it myself, but according to many people Morin is a notoriously challenging book. It also contains more advanced material than AP French's book, such as Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics.

4. Mar 29, 2016 #3
    I'll be my third exposure (although my first two were far from complete) I've taken ap physics 1 and C, and did most of the classical mechanics chapters in kleppner other than the second angular momentum chapter, so I should be good enough to go into Morin. I'm doing this for physics Olympiad prep.

Just in case it's not clear, i'm referring to ap French's book that focuses completely on special relativity, Morin is a general mechanics book that goes through all the topics.

5. Mar 29, 2016 #4
    Oh okay, I thought you meant Newtonian Mechanics. While I have his book on SR, I couldn't comment on how good it is. I bought the entire series at a garage sale for 50 bucks, but I'm not at that level.

From my understanding, the series is well written, but somewhat outdated. I don't think it would hurt to have the SR book on hand though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted