AP: It's Obama - Biden

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
Cheney some how assumed powers which equaled or surpassed those of the president. I wonder how that will go down in the history books?

russ_watters
Mentor
Probably as not happening, since it didn't. :rolleyes:

He will be the biggest assassination target ever to take the White House. He is fully cognizant of that. I hope that's not the message he is sending with that statement, but it's got to be on peoples' minds, and may need to be addressed, however subtly. Even now, prior to the convention, the SS detail guarding him probably sees bull's eyes painted on him everywhere he goes. Their job cannot be an easy one - it only takes one loon with a lucky break to take out someone who is in the public eye so frequently.
Is this really a signal/message? He also said, "Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it." Maybe it's nothing more than fatigue.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
He said "fifty seven" instead of "forty seven" ... okay. Wouldn't you think that was just a slip of the tongue? Did he repeat this on other occasions?

A slip, yes. But people have been all over it, just as when he called Biden the next president. Snopes covers it with explanation: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp

Even I slip in conversation, and I think everyone does. Which is why I don't think he's sending a message or signal.

snopes said:
The actual intent behind Senator Obama's misstatement is easy to discern without the need to invoke an obscure international organization. He was trying to express the thought that in all the time he had spent on the campaign trail so far in 2007-08, he had visited all (48) of the states in the continental U.S. save for one (i.e., "one left to go," excluding Alaska and Hawaii), but in his weariness he slipped up and started off with "fifty" instead of "forty." (Note the long pause in the video clip between the words "fifty" and "seven.")
Looks like the same kind of mistake in verbal processing.

At work recently a coworker asked if I was conceiving her. She meant to say "deceiving". We've been playing with that ever since.

Last edited:
Probably as not happening, since it didn't. :rolleyes:
Are you kidding. Cheney has had more power than any Vice President in history ( I don't think we even need a link for that):rolleyes: He has claimed that his office is not a part of the executive branch and then from the other side of his mouth has claimed executive privilege.

Vice President Dick Cheney has asserted his office is not a part of the executive branch of the U.S. government, and therefore not bound by a presidential order governing the protection of classified information by government agencies, according to a new letter from Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., to Cheney.
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/06/21/2021/

One only need to watch Buying The War to see who has really been in charge of the executive branch.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/btw/watch.html