1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics 1 homework help

1. Oct 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: Sanjay's air boat starts from rest and accelerates at 9.1 m/s2 for a distance of 216 meters. How fast is it moving at the end of the 216 meters?
    And how much time will it take to cover this distance?

Known: Vi = 0m/s

A = 9.1m/s
    D = 216m

2. Relevant equations
    Vx=Vx0+axt

3. The attempt at a solution
    In all honesty I am very confused about this question; any little tips would help! I have tried a few different equations that my teacher has provided us, and each time the question has been wrong. Any ideas on how to approach this kind of question? Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2015 #2
    Hi,

the question seem to be tricky, because in the statement the chronological order of the necessary results to solve the problem is reversed. At first you have to calculate the necessary time the ship needs. With this result you can solve the first question with the equation you already provided in 2).

Any ideas about the connectedness between distance, time and a constant acceleration?

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3

No idea, I am very confused about this question. :oldconfused:

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4
    Okay, with the formula you provided, you can calculate the velocity of the ship after 1 second, after 2 seconds, after 3 seconds, ...

How can you calculate the travelled distance if you know speed and time?

6. Oct 14, 2015 #5
    We already know the distance, it's 216m.
    Why would we have to calculate it? :oldconfused:

7. Oct 14, 2015 #6
    It is to find the equation you need to solve the problem and it is easier to do it step by step. It won't take long. So what would be the velocity of the ship with the given acceleration at

t = 1s: v = ...
    t = 2s: v = ...
    t = 3s: v = ...

... and if you know the velocity and the time how to calculate a travelled distance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted