1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics B Multiple Choice Newtonian (1 prob)

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1
    Hi guys, I need help with the following problem I couldn't figure out:

1) A block of mass 2 kg slides along a horizontal tabletop. A horizontal applied force of 12 N and a vertical applied force of 15 N act on the block. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table is 0.2, the frictional force exterted on the block is most nearly
    A) 1 N
    B) 3 N
    C) 4 N
    D) 5 N
    E) 7 N

The answer is E. Why?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What thoughts did u have about it?Something must have crossed your mind...

To get their answer,take g=10ms^{-2}.

Daniel.

4. Apr 20, 2005 #3
    I thought that the frictional force was given by the equation Ff = mu*m*g*cos(theta). But that only comes out to 1/5*2*10=4N. So I have no idea how to factor in the vertical force.

5. Apr 20, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What "cos" are u dreaming about ?All forces have right angles between them."cos 90°=0",IIRC.

Daniel.

6. Apr 20, 2005 #5
    Sorry I still don't understand. Can someone please help me get this concept?

7. Apr 20, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem is ambiguous,because it doesn't specify the direction of the forces...Assume the vertical force pushes the body into the table (it has the same direction & sense as the gravity force).

Since the body is moving,u have to know what is the expression of the kinetic friction force.

Daniel.

8. Apr 20, 2005 #7
    You are correct, the vertical force is pushing the block into the table. I believe the force of kinetic friction is mu * Normal Force. Normal force here would be 15 N, right, so F kinetic friction = 3? Bah, I don't know.

9. Apr 20, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No.In the table,the pressing force is the 15N external force and the 20N force due to gravity attraction.Therefore,the normal force is 15+20=35N

Daniel.

10. Apr 20, 2005 #9
    Yes, but why isn't there an opposite reaction from the table upwards into the block of the same force of the block's weight, 20 N?

11. Apr 20, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's part of the reaction force,called NORMAL FORCE...

Daniel.

12. Apr 20, 2005 #11
    Ok thank you for your help :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?